Business Affairs Executive
Full Time Job
Department: Business Affairs, Commissions
Manager: Director of Business Affairs, Commissions
Job Title: Business Affairs Executive
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
WHAT ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The focus of this role is the negotiation and drafting of production agreements with third party producers for the purpose of commissioning original content for Channel 5’s services. You will be working across genres, in a busy and fast-paced environment, servicing the needs of the business. The role may involve the negotiation, drafting of and/inputting into other programming related contracts as part of the Programme Business Affairs team. Ensuring the accurate recording and managing of Channel 5’s programme rights and generally providing legal and business/Business affairs support to the Director of Business Affairs, Commissions and the Business Affairs team.
WHAT IS THE ROLE
• The key focus of the role is to negotiate and conclude some standard and some non-standard draft Production Agreements within the framework of Pact agreed Terms of Trade for Channel 5’s family of channels.
• Negotiate and draft other agreements such as Programme Licence Agreements, Co-production Agreements, work for hire production agreements, Presenter Agreements, access agreements, standard programme finance agreements as required.
• Potential to become involved in more complex agreements such as Advertiser Funded Agreements and alternative financing agreements, subject to resource and allocation.
• Subject to the effective completion of the day job, team resource and work allocation, you may be required to assist with agreements from other business areas such as product placement agreements, commercial contracts, in-house production agreements, acquisition agreements, Milkshake etc. and other legal and business affairs work depending on business requirements.
• Maintain effective, efficient and consistent commercial relationships with programme suppliers whilst effectively negotiating programme rights and terms in accordance with Channel 5 and industry benchmarks.
• Communicate deals internally in writing and verbally as required.
• Maintain and manage internal relationships particularly with Content Legal team and Compliance, the Programming Department (Commissioning Editors, Programme Management, Scheduling etc.), Music team and as required, Digital Media Group (VOD), Sales (AFPs etc), Finance, Commercial Partnerships (Distribution, linked telephony competitions, clips etc) etc.
• Adhere to Channel 5’s Code of Practice regarding the fair, reasonable and transparent negotiation of production agreements with Independent Producers, comply with Pact Terms of Trade etc.
• Assist/input in rights clearance and other projects to check and clear rights for Channel 5’s linear and non-linear services (e.g. VOD, new channels etc.).
• Assist with distribution matters where required such as reviewing reporting statements.
• Review and input into underlying contracts produced by producers e.g. access agreements, presenter agreements, release forms etc.
• Advise the business on intellectual property rights and general commercial matters and take steps to reduce areas of potential risk.
• Assist in the training and development of the more junior members of the team (possibly having a team member report).
• Input into team best practice, knowhow and template agreements where required.
• Regularly update your line manager and refer up accordingly.
WHAT SKILLS DO YOU NEED
• Demonstrable experience in drafting and negotiating rights agreements within the television/media industry gained from working for a broadcaster or independent production company either in-house or in private practice, but general media/IP experience is required.
• Experience of managing third party relationships.
• Understanding of the range of rights involved in a programme deal and deal structures.
• Experience of working on commercial contracts and experience of contract law essential.
• Ideally, some experience of rights management.
• Excellent negotiating and drafting skills.
• Excellent attention to detail and technical legal skills.
• An enthusiastic, hard-working and flexible ‘can do’ approach is essential.
• Ability to work in a fast, efficient manner and to manage a high volume of workload.
• Excellent communication skills, both orally and written.
• Ability to manage a number of relationships internally/ externally in a regulated environment.
• Ability to work to deadlines and deliver an effective service to the business.
• Ability to think through problems, identify the issues and provide creative solutions and to identify issues to refer up to senior management.
• Ability to influence and be adaptable to changing situations.
• Ability to confidently provide commercial and legal advice.
• Ability to work collaboratively with other Legal and Business Affairs team members and the rest of Channel 5 and affiliate channels
• Interpersonal Skills
• Communicates and Listens
• Builds Relationships
• Influences and Negotiates
• Personal Effectiveness
• Takes Initiative
• Manages the Work
• Composure and Flexibility
• Acts with Integrity Thinking and Problem Solving
• Develops creative products and solutions
• Judgment and analysis
• Thinks strategically
• Management and Leadership
• Communicates effectively with employees
• Creates a positive and inclusive working environment
• Defines, directs and delegates work
• Develops people through feedback and coaching
WHAT ARE OUR BENEFITS
• Private Medical Insurance: You will be eligible for our full Private Medial Cover (From 3 months)
• Season Ticket Loan: We’ll pay for your season travel card up front and you can pay us back across the year
• TV Package Discount: If you subscribe for the likes of Sky and Virgin Media, we’ll get £20 off your bill
• Pension Scheme: You will be eligible for our Pension Scheme from day one, as long as you are contributing to this, we’ll top this up with a voluntary contribution from us
• Discounted Gym Membership: We offer discounts to a number of Gyms
• Discounts at Local Shops and Restaurants: Whether you need a new pair of shoes or just want something tasty for lunch, we partner with a number of local businesses to offer us a discounted rate
• Access to Reward Gateway: With heaps of discounts on everyday shops, restaurants and household suppliers
• Happy to talk flexible working!
WHAT ARE OUR VAL
WHO ARE WE
We’re Viacom International Media Networks UK & Ireland, home to 20 TV channels that offer the very best in music, entertainment, comedy and kids programming through our MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, Channel 5 and BET brands. Together these brands reach nearly 30 million homes in the UK and Ireland. Viacom brands are seen globally in more than 705 million households in 169 territories and 37 languages via more than 184 locally programmed and operated TV channels and more than 550 digital media and mobile TV properties.
There are lots of people here doing all sorts of jobs and we believe that having all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds makes this a great place to work. We have a number of Employee Resource Groups that look to support our employees from all walks of life and who face common challenges in the workplace and we hold tons of events all your round to nurture the best possible, inclusive environment