Online News Editor
Full Time Job
Status: Full-Time – Permanent
Location: London (mandatory 2-3 days per week in the Golden Square office)
Variety is looking for an online news editor for its growing international team. The online news editor will oversee traffic growth outside of the U.S. and work to specific traffic targets each month, with guidance on these targets from the U.S. team. They will support the executive editor of international in editing copy from the global correspondents, and write up breaking news for online. They will help to curate and assign the flow of press releases from the global film and TV industries, and stay on top of daily news.
J ob Responsibilities
• Manage traffic growth for non-U.S.-originating web traffic
• Edit copy from global correspondents around the world
• Respond quickly to breaking news and post and alert accordingly
• Jump on traffic-generating stories from the web
• Post stories to social media and manage Variety’s socials during AM/PM Europe time
• Curate the flow of press releases
• Attend international film festivals and TV markets carry out their duties for online from these events
• At least five years of journalism experience at a senior level
• At least three years of experience as a digital editor
• Able to provide figures and demonstrate impact on traffic growth in previous roles
• Strong copy-editing and reporting skills
• Ability to respond quickly to breaking news and keep Variety competitive among trades
• Passion for international film and TV
• Experience in Wordpress, Google Analytics, Social Flow, Twitter, Facebook, TikTok
Variety is the seminal voice in the entertainment industry. After 117 years of award-winning breaking news reporting, insightful award-season coverage, must-read feature spotlights, and intelligent analysis of the industry’s most prominent players, Variety is the most trusted source for the business of global entertainment. Read by a highly engaged audience of industry insiders, aspirants and passionate entertainment enthusiasts, Variety’s multi-platform content coverage expands across digital, mobile, social, print, podcasts, branded content, events, and summits.
In May 2019, Variety’s “Actors on Actors” on PBS took home a Daytime Creative Arts Emmy award and has been awarded the Emmy for best entertainment programming at the 67th and 68th Emmy Awards. “Actors on Actors,” an interview special that features pairings of prominent actors discussing their craft, was produced by PBS SoCal in partnership with Variety Media, LLC. Follow Variety on Facebook facebook.com/variety; Twitter, @variety; Instagram, @Variety The Variety Group – Variety, Variety.com, Variety Insight, Indiewire,– is owned by Variety Media, LLC, a division of Penske Media Corporation.
About Penske Media Corporation:
PMC is a leading global media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a passionate audience. Since 2004, Penske Media has been a pioneer in digital media and a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens across its ever-growing constellation of iconic brands, which includes Variety, Rolling Stone, The Hollywood Reporter, Billboard, WWD, SHE Media, Robb Report, Deadline, Sportico, BGR, ARTnews, Fairchild Media, Vibe, IndieWire, Dirt, Gold Derby and Spy.com, among many others. PMC’s journalists and content creators deliver daily the most comprehensive news and information in their industries and areas of coverage, unequaled in ambition, depth, and courage. In addition, PMC owns several vital cultural events such as SXSW, LA3C, and Life is Beautiful. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 14 countries worldwide, PMC believes companies should not only be profitable but also forces for good. www.PMC.com.?