VarietyLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Variety is seeking a collaborative, and relentlessly creative Art Director to join its award-winning entertainment team. This position will collaborate with the creative, editorial teams on its weekly magazine. We seek originality and intelligence in the candidate’s work, which is key to showcasing our in-depth entertainment news and analytical approach. Under the guidance of the Creative Director, we're looking for an Art Director who will help us take the Variety to new visual heights. This position is in Los Angeles, CA.
• Art direction for cover packages that will tell the story in print as well as digital and social
• Assign illustrations, typography, and infographics
• Collaborate with editors and creative teams on content ideation and generation
• Excellent in communication, writing, editing and interpersonal skills.
• Maintain positive relationships with editorial and creative team members for stellar overall creative results
• Creative desire to evolve the Variety brand
• 5 years in editorial creative design and a bachelor’s degree in graphic design or similar
• A positive attitude and strong work ethic with a desire to inspire others
• Self-Starter who can work independently and is an Ego-less team collaborator
• Original creative thinker whose concepts are out-of-the-box and are delivered pixel perfect
• Highly organized and able to prioritize deadlines
• Experience in consumer publishing with experience in assigning illustration and typography
• Able to pivot and lead in a fast-paced high-bar design environment
• Strong knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, InCopy and InDesign. Experience in K4 is a plus.
It’s all About You…
At PMC, your wellness is top of mind. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to nurture you and your loved ones, including pets! Our package includes Healthcare (medical, dental, and vision) HSA with an employer contribution, FSA (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter), EAP, Life Insurance, 401K with an employer match, Paid Parental Leave, Long-term Disability, generous Paid Time off (PTO), Pet Insurance, and Home & Auto insurance. Our Wellness initiatives rotate yoga, meditation, wellness weeks on a variety of topics, and financial wellness. We continuously elevate our offerings with more, for you.
Variety is the seminal voice in the entertainment industry. After 117 years of award-winning breaking news reporting, insightful award-season coverage, must-read feature spotlights, and intelligent analysis of the industry’s most prominent players, Variety is the most trusted source for the business of global entertainment. Read by a highly engaged audience of industry insiders, aspirants and passionate entertainment enthusiasts, Variety’s multi-platform content coverage expands across digital, mobile, social, print, podcasts, branded content, events, and summits.
In May 2019, Variety’s “Actors on Actors” on PBS took home a Daytime Creative Arts Emmy award and has been awarded the Emmy for best entertainment programming at the 67th and 68th Emmy Awards. “Actors on Actors,” an interview special that features pairings of prominent actors discussing their craft, was produced by PBS SoCal in partnership with Variety Media, LLC. Follow Variety on Facebook facebook.com/variety; Twitter, @variety; Instagram, @Variety The Variety Group – Variety, Variety.com, Variety Insight, Indiewire,– is owned by Variety Media, LLC, a division of Penske Media Corporation.
PMC is a leading independent global media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a passionate monthly audience of more than 310 million. Since 2004, Penske Media has been a pioneer in digital media and a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens across its ever-growing constellation of iconic brands, which includes Deadline, Variety, Rolling Stone, Billboard, The Hollywood Reporter, VIBE, WWD, SHE Media, Robb Report, Sportico, BGR, ARTnews, Art in America, Fairchild Media, and Spy.com, among many others. PMC’s journalists and content creators deliver daily the most comprehensive news and information in their industries and areas of coverage, unequaled in ambition, depth and courage. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 14 countries worldwide, PMC believes companies should not only be profitable but also forces for good. www.PMC.com.