Intern - MLB Prospect Development Pipeline , Data & Analytics
USA BaseballDurham, NC
Part Time Unpaid Internship
MLB Prospect Development Pipeline (PDP), Data & Analytics Intern
Start Date: January 15, 2019
End Date: December 15, 2019
*Full time hours throughout the entirety of this internship (40 hours per week).
*This is a paid position.
Position Reports To: Director, Prospect Development Pipeline (Jules Johnson)
The Data and Analytics Intern of the Prospect Development Pipeline supports the day to day operation of one of USA Baseball and Major League Baseball's newest initiative within the amateur game. The Prospect Development Pipeline (PDP) is a collaborative effort between USA Baseball and the Commissioner's Office that delivers an official evaluation and mentoring program for amateur draft and college recruiting aged athletes. Part of the larger movement to improve the experience of players within the amateur game, the PDP is a platform for direct interaction between athletes and MLB, and enables MLB and USA Baseball to provide the marketplace with a fair value, official evaluation opportunity.
This position will be responsible for the organization of aggregate data from PDP evaluations, as well as other evaluations held around the country, and unifying various digital resources and assets for the creation of personalized Player Reports sent to all participating athletes. The position will report to the Director of the Prospect Development Pipeline and will be supported by additional staff who will assist in the growth of the program.
• Liaison with Major League Baseball on all player registration procedures along with event assessment data and player reports
• Serves as the lead communication vehicle between the PDP and participating athletes/families
• Manages the organization of event information and data for the creation of PDP personalized Player Reports
• Directs the flow of athlete data and information between USA Baseball and the Office of the Commissioner
• Identifies areas of future growth for the program, including collaboration with other USA Baseball Sport Development amateur initiatives
• All candidates should have a background within baseball, and a passion for the sport
• Candidates must possess strong organizational skills showing the ability to be detail oriented in aggregating many different data sets into a streamlined process
• All candidates must demonstrate exceptional literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint)
• Must have an excellent attitude and work well in a team setting
• Candidates should possess an interest in player development and long-term player safety initiatives
• Ability to utilize existing and emerging technologies within the game to achieve team goals
• Previous experience with R Studio, 3D Issue, or other relevant software
• Working towards a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Communications, Technology or other relevant degree
About USA Baseball:
USA Baseball is the National Governing Body for the sport of baseball in the United States and is a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the World Baseball Softball Confederation. The organization selects and trains the Olympic, Pan Am, Premier 12 and World Baseball Classic teams (and all other USA Baseball Professional Teams); the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team; the USA Baseball 18U, 15U and 12U National Teams; and the USA Baseball Women's National Team, all of which participate in various international competitions each year.
The organization is responsible for the proliferation and health of the sport, and leads a number of amateur initiatives including PLAYBALL and Pitch Smart. USA Baseball also presents the Golden Spikes Award annually to the top amateur baseball player in the country.
USA Baseball is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of USA Baseball to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
• How did you hear about this job?
• Are you applying for any other USA Baseball internships? If so, please specify which positions.