Intern - Media Relations
Usa BaseballCary, NC
Part Time Unpaid Internship
Job Title: Intern, Media Relations
Location: Arizona (USA Baseball will cover transportation and lodging if necessary)
Start Date: May 15, 2021
End Date: July 31, 2021
*This position is 40 hours a week.
*This is a paid position.
All USA Baseball employees will operate under a remote work plan for the 2021 season. All employees will be expected to work remotely during business hours, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. ET, unless otherwise scheduled by your supervisor or during USA Baseball sanctioned events. If assigned to work an event, employees will work on-site at an assigned facility. USA Baseball will implement strict COVID-19 guidelines for all events in 2021 in order to protect the long-term health and safety for its employees and participants.
Position Background: USA Baseball is looking for a Media Relations intern for its National Team Championships Arizona to assist in the execution of USA Baseball's media plan and is responsible for upholding the brand of our nation's pastime through written communication and social media for USA Baseball's events and national team programs, specifically in regard to its National Team Championships in Arizona. The coordinator will report to the Senior Director of Media Relations and Assistant Director of Media Relations.
Position Reports To:
• Brad Young, Senior Director of Media Relations
• Emily Fedewa, Assistant Director of Media Relations
• Answer daily media inquiries on behalf of the organization and events, including statistical requests and photo/video.
• Monitor media through web research and social media for opportunities to engage with and create content for the organization.
• Maintain the USA Baseball organizational history including results, rosters and statistics, as well as photos and videos.
• Create, proof, and edit content for USA Baseball's official website, USABaseball.com, including but not limited to game recaps, feature stories, series previews, press releases, etc.
• Serve as a primary media contact at all USA Baseball events assigned, and assist with game day preparations including script writing, social media coverage, program creation, scoring, and content creation.
• Assist or serve as a press officer for a USA Baseball national team or national team development program as assigned.
• Assist all departments as needed for the organization.
• Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint
• Proficiency in all social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok and Twitter
• Experience writing feature stories, game recaps, media advisories and press releases
• Must have an excellent attitude and work well in a team setting
• Flexible and adaptable work schedule for changing organizational needs
• Candidates must be willing and able to work flexible, demanding hours
• Passionate about baseball with an understanding of the amateur baseball landscape
• Ability to work in both a Mac and PC environment
• Basic knowledge of HTML
• Experience with GameChanger and StatCrew (The Automated Scorebook) is preferred
• Ability to serve as an official scorer under National Federation of High School Sports (NFHS) and/or Major League Baseball official rules
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year university
About USA Baseball:
USA Baseball is the National Governing Body for the sport of baseball in the United States and is a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the World Baseball Softball Confederation. The organization selects and trains the Olympic, Pan Am, Premier 12 and World Baseball Classic teams (and all other USA Baseball Professional Teams); the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team; the USA Baseball 18U, 15U and 12U National Teams; and the USA Baseball Women's National Team, all of which participate in various international competitions each year.
The organization is responsible for the proliferation and health of the sport, and leads a number of amateur initiatives including PLAYBALL and Pitch Smart. USA Baseball also presents the Golden Spikes Award annually to the top amateur baseball player in the country.