Athlete Safety Intern
Usa BaseballDurham, NC
Part Time Unpaid Internship
Start Date: May 1, 2020
End Date: August 15, 2020
*40 hours per week.
*This is a paid position.
Position Reports To: Assistant Director, Athlete Safety
The Athlete Safety Intern will assist the Senior Director of Athlete Safety and Assistant Director of Athlete Safety on all elements of USA Baseball's SafeSport-related policies, guidelines, educational programs, reporting and adjudication services, and perform other activities that directly relate to the organization's effort to provide its constituents a safe, healthy, and positive environment for sport participation. The position will work closely in coordination with both the Sport Development Department and USA Baseball's national team program directors to implement curriculum, training and other outreach materials. In addition to assisting with USA Baseball's SafeSport efforts to promote a safe, healthy training environment for all participants, this individual will assist with compliance and enforcement of applicable USA Baseball rules, policies, and SafeSport provisions in the greater amateur baseball community.
USABaseball.com, the organization's primary communication vehicle with its constituents, fans and event participants, is hosted and supported by Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM) through a long-term strategic business partnership. The partnership with MLBAM also includes support for PlayBall.org and PitchSmart.org which house much of the organizations Sport Development content. Additional Safe Sport specific and educational content can be found at sportdev.org
• Assist constituents with background check purchases, online course registrations and general SafeSport and Pure Baseball requirements questions. Escalate issues as needed
• Update any documentation, policies, and standard operating procedures as directed and needed
• Assist constituents with certification questions. Manage certification inbox and ensure constituent profiles are updated in customer-relationship management (CRM)
• Attend USA Baseball events throughout the summer as needed to track staff Pure Baseball compliance
• Assist in tracking staff and coach SafeSport and Pure Baseball compliance for USA Baseball events
• Assist in coordinating SafeSport programs with the national teams and the national team development programs to ensure appropriate prevention and reporting programs are effective
• Assist in the collection and reporting of programmatic metrics
• Assist in the management of the day to day operations of the Sport Development department's CRM system, and its connectivity to the end users
• Assist with special projects as time allows
• Candidates should possess strong leadership skills
• Ability to manage a diverse project load, maintain attention to detail, and regularly communicate and build strong, positive relationships with staff is essential
• Must have an excellent attitude and work well in a team setting
• All candidates must demonstrate computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint
• Must be detail-oriented
• Passionate about helping children
• Experience with customer-relationship management databases
• Child sexual abuse and/or sexual assault prevention, public health, family services, paralegal, and/or governing body policy education background
• In possession of or working towards an Associate, Bachelor or Master Degree.
About USA Baseball:
USA Baseball is the National Governing Body for the sport of baseball in the United States and is a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the World Baseball Softball Confederation. The organization selects and trains the Olympic, Pan Am, Premier 12 and World Baseball Classic teams (and all other USA Baseball Professional Teams); the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team; the USA Baseball 18U, 15U and 12U National Teams; and the USA Baseball Women's National Team, all of which participate in various international competitions each year.
The organization is responsible for the proliferation and health of the sport, and leads a number of amateur initiatives including PLAYBALL and Pitch Smart. USA Baseball also presents the Golden Spikes Award annually to the top amateur baseball player in the country.