Director, Technical Entertainment
Universal OrlandoOrlando, FL
Full Time Job
Universal Parks & Resorts is comprised of Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in Beijing, China. We are a universe of opportunities for people who have a lot to offer. It takes a special kind of person to work at all of our destinations. An individual who knows how to be part of a team. Someone with a sense of fun who's serious about their work. A person who knows it doesn't take magic to put a smile on a guest's face… it takes hard work, dedication, knowledge and just the right amount of Universal attitude. Universal's theme parks offer exactly the kind of vacation families crave - bringing together popular culture's most compelling stories, characters and adventures to create some of the world's most innovative and entertaining attraction experiences. These are immersive, next-level, adventures such as The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™, outrageously fun attractions such as Despicable Me Minion Mayhem and highly themed, authentic experiences based on cutting-edge television, such as Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon. We embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. Universal Parks & Resorts adheres to 'The Universal Way' by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world. Universal Parks & Resorts provides world-class entertainment destinations with signature theme parks that create unparalleled entertainment.
Job Summary: Responsible for the management of all technical standards, procedures, systems, equipment, and staff leadership of Technical Entertainment for the Entertainment Division, including Audio, Video, Lighting, Rigging, Staging, Special Effects, Show Control, as it pertains to all areas including; CityWalk, Entertainment Operations, Events & Production for Universal Orlando Resort. Manages the leadership teams who are responsible for all aspects of the day to day operations for Technical Entertainment needs.
- Leads the management staff for operational budgeting, planning and developing goals & timelines to achieve the scopes for all Technical Entertainment function - Park Venues, CityWalk, Marquee and Corporate Events.
- Leads Technical Entertainment Management team in day to day operations. Providing feedback on performance, gives direction on how to handle, solve and prevent situations and develop communication, decision making and reasoning skills. Creates development plans, gives direction to Management on hourly team member performance management.
- Responsible for the Technical Quality Assurance, Safety and Risk Management of all Technical Entertainment installations throughout Universal Orlando overseeing the daily operation of all Entertainment offerings involving Tech.
- Responsible for the continual evaluation of the Technical Entertainment Standard Operating Procedure, creating, requesting and recommending updates as required.
- Liaises and collaborates with operational peers, within the Entertainment teams & Interdepartmental teams to ensure that operational needs are being addressed in a timely, safe and appropriate manner for successful show/event execution.
- Participates in the identification, selection and management of vendor resources.
- Responsible to assist the Sr. Director of Technical Entertainment with the development and execution of the overall Strategic plan for the enhancement and improvement of technical entertainment operations within Universal Orlando.
Scope: Leads the Technical Entertainment teams to ensure delivery of show quality, compliance with all safety practices, management of labor, budgets etc. for all Entertainment offerings as it pertains to Tech Disciplines (A/V, Lighting, Special Effects, Staging/Rigging, Show Control). Managing Vendors and Technical Management staff on the installations, Show Quality, Safety, Compliance and Operation of Technical Entertainment Team and Show Equipment involved.
Qualifications: Technical Entertainment Discipline knowledge (examples - Rigging, Staging, Scenic, Lighting, Video, Show Control etc..) Knowledge of CAD, Engineering principles, Budgeting, Scheduling, Scope Writing, Problem Solving, Strong Written and Oral Communication skills and Leading & Motivating teams.
Education: Bachelor's degree is required (entertainment field preferred). Masters preferred.
Experience: 7-10 years' experience in a Technical Management position with a strong background in Technical Direction for Live shows required. Ten years' experience within the Technical Entertainment Production field required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Information: Budgeting, Cost Analysis, Construction and Event Permitting, Scope & Contract writing, Negotiating with Third Party Vendors, SOP & Policy Creation, Some Travel May Be Required, prior supervisory experience preferably in leading management members. Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Parks & Resorts via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Parks & Resorts HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Parks & Resorts. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Parks & Resorts as a result of the referral or through other means.
It's a Big Universe. Where do you fit in?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2018 Universal Studios. © 2018 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE