Visual Editor - Digital, CNN
TurnerNew York, NY
Full Time Job
We are expanding our visual journalism team and are looking for a Visual Editor who will help pitch, edit, and execute visual storytelling on the web - from graphics and interactives to emerging storytelling forms. The person in this role will work primarily on US national news and help shape visual narratives and coverage, while also collaborating with a team of visual editors and journalists across the organization. This is a player/coach role, where you'll have ownership over shaping story ideas while also being able to get hands on in building out projects. The position will be remote for the time being and eventually based at one of our US bureaus.
• Identify and pitch visual story ideas relevant to the news cycle
• Partner with other national editors and reporters to brainstorm visual coverage ideas and find gaps in current story planning.
• Plan proactively for major events and identify strong visual opportunities
• Assign and edit work by visual reporters and designers
• Edit and help execute visually led stories for daily, long form, and breaking news, including maps, charts, graphics, animations, and mobile first interactives
• Collaborate with the Visual News team to refine standards and best practices for data and visual journalism including data visualizations, interactives, photography, illustrations, and animations
• You are enthusiastic about excellent visual journalism and can share that enthusiasm with patience and clarity
• You put the journalism first, have impeccable news judgment, and are always asking ''what's the best way to tell this story?''
• You work at a high metabolism, have a lot of story ideas, and can make decisions quickly around how to best cover breaking news and developing stories
• A reader-first perspective and strong commitment to multiplatform storytelling
• You're comfortable working collaboratively, individually and with cross-functional teams
• You are a varsity level communicator and feel as comfortable walking through a story pitch with editors as you do coaching a developer on an interactive interface
• 3 years of relevant newsroom experience
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands