Senior Weekend Editor
This was removed by the employer on 4/1/2021 10:47:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Senior Weekend Editor jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Senior Weekend Editor postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Senior Weekend Editor? CNN Politics is looking for a senior editor to lead our weekend coverage. This editor will work closely with Washington bureau newsgathering leaders, politics team editors and digital programming partners to set our priorities, identify our needs and deliver a wide array of content ranging from breaking news to in-depth features as well as developing stories in need of updates, reflows and context. The core responsibilities of the role are to quickly and cleanly edit copy, shape and elevate stories, and oversee other editors to help them do the same.
This role requires creative planning and packaging for stories on both desktop and mobile platforms, including purposeful decision-making on headlines, images and video. Clear communication with programming and social media teams is essential in this role for developing, executing and evolving a strategy for alerting audiences.
The successful candidate will have a passion for politics and policy coverage, creativity and enthusiasm for all aspects of our programming and planning. The role requires swift and smart choices during the weekend and thoughtful preparation across the entire week.
• Edit copy quickly and cleanly with a focus on lifting stories and leading other editors to do the same
• Communicate and coordinate constantly with the programming, news & alerting, digital news, newsgathering and social media teams across several cities
• Have a passion for breaking news, political news, and be unafraid to build the future of journalism on digital
• Demonstrate a love for and understanding of analyzing audience data, constantly refining and evolving strategy based on audience metrics
• React swiftly to breaking news and help strategize the best delivery
• Be able to identify engaging content and influence its production, including monitoring competition and matching as necessary
• Conceptualize, curate and craft breaking news updates and show an understanding of the nuances of packaging content for digital, mobile and social
• Create sharp headlines
• Prioritize stories and set a news agenda that is clear to audiences
• Work with editorial, design and product teams to coordinate content and distribution strategies
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism or related discipline or equivalent experience
• 5 years of experience in an editor or reporter role at a traditional or digital-native news organization
• Strong editing skills are needed for this role
• Sound editorial and social media judgment
• Excellent writing and visual communication skills
• Strong content management system experience on desktop, mobile and mobile
• Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment making independent decisions
• Strong understanding of mobile, apps, and social media
• Experience in a video-led operation a plus
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
• 2018 Best Company for Dads
• An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.