Senior Field Engineer
TurnerHong Kong, HK
This was removed by the employer on 4/1/2021 10:47:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcasting/Sound/Music Engineering Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Search for Senior Field Engineer jobs in Hong Kong-HK
Search all Senior Field Engineer postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Senior Field Engineer? What part will you play?
The Senior Broadcast Field Engineer provides timely and professional engineering support for CNN's newsgathering and production operations, in a deadline-led news environment, for broadcasting and editorial clients who expect high standards of performance and productivity. Field engineers are often the only formally qualified technicians working on a location. Their communications abilities, self-confidence and engineering skills must therefore be of a high standard. The Senior Broadcast Field Engineer can build, direct and lead an installation of a site in varying environments and will give guidance to other Engineers & team members.
What will you be doing?
• Provide timely and professional engineering support for CNN's Field-based newsgathering and production operations, in a deadline-led news environment, for broadcasting and editorial clients who expect high standards of performance and productivity.
• TV broadcast systems design & implementation, technical quality control, electronic maintenance, equipment installations and operations; working with all types of equipment required for remote TV broadcasting, at possibly any location worldwide.
• This Broadcast Engineering professional will be tasked with timely and professional technical support of the 24x7x365 news, and IT/IP/Video/Audio production environment. Individuals must fully demonstrate the skills, knowledge, and competencies necessary to set up and operate a satellite news gathering (''SNG'') system, perform quality control, and perform minor maintenance and repair (when needed) of all television remote broadcast and/or satellite transmission & receiving equipment.
• Frequent assignments for work in the field, both in Hong Kong and overseas are expected, and protracted periods of duty are anticipated.
• Depending on the nature of news assignments these may be made at short notice, sometimes to hostile locations, and can be physically demanding. Field engineers are capable of, and committed to, meeting these demands.
• When not deployed on a field assignment, Field Engineers work at the engineering office/workshop located at the Hong Kong production centre. From there, they provide technical, maintenance and logistical support for the technical resources of the department, HK facility and the regional overseas bureaus.
• This position will liaise closely with the Hong Kong bureau staff and CNN engineering teams, across all areas of common interest and purpose. Wider communications with many other CNN departments, our vendors and overseas bureaus are also required in relation to news assignments, equipment issues and planning.
What do we need from you?
• A creative ability to overcome system and equipment level problems and quickly find workaround solutions is vital.
• Prior experience in a TV/OB Broadcast maintenance, or operations engineering environment.
• Good team player with excellent personal communication skills
• Experience of training and mentoring more junior staff.
• Appreciation of studio and/or ENG production techniques, terrestrial and satellite communications systems, computers and data networks
• In depth knowledge of TV production, editing, transmission, and comms equipment and its applications
• Understanding of technical jargon, schematic circuit and systems diagrams, and all-round engineering skills
• Competence and confidence in the use of specialised test equipment for undertaking electrical/electronic troubleshooting, diagnostics and maintenance work
• Some knowledge and experience of the configuration and alignment of complex equipment and systems
• Creative ability to overcome system and equipment level problems quickly finding workaround solutions
• Ability, willingness and capability to travel extensively on regional and international remote assignments, at short notice and for potentially indeterminate periods is vital
• Practical ability to fabricate basic supportive items on site or in base and work with various materials by hand to achieve this e.g. cables, wood, metal and plastics
• Must be computer literate, with experience in data networks, software and peripherals
• Ability to stay calm and self-motivated whilst working under pressure and in possibly hostile environments
• A level (or equivalent) supporting a higher diploma or pass degree in Electronics and/or Communications engineering (or closely related engineering field). Vocational qualifications in electronics and/or communications engineering (or a closely related engineering field) or equivalent experience. Desirable
• Previous news organisation experience
• Experience from other relevant professions e.g. electrical engineering, metalwork, carpentry, vehicle maintenance, A/V Installation, IT support, photography, sound engineering, cine production, equipment hire, telecoms, military signals, avionics, and airfreight/shipping
• Valid driving license with van driving ability and experience of driving overseas
• Languages competency and experience living and working overseas.
• First Aid and health and safety training/experience
• Willingness to work in hazardous environments/war zones
• Newsroom computer and server systems experience.
• Manufacturers training courses are highly desirable, Eg. BBC technical training courses, Sony Broadcast maintenance training, Cisco Network engineering, Adobe Creative Cloud, Evertz etc and in-house training. This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.