Principal Product Designer, Data Visualization -Politics - CNN Digital
Full Time Job
As a Principal Product Designer, you are a member of the world-class CNN Politics digital products team, which builds products and user experiences that inform, connect and empower people to use their governments to improve their lives, communities and society. Our mission is to help CNN visitors better understand how politics work, and how what happens in Washington DC impacts their families and neighborhoods. The Principal Product Designer, CNN Politics, is an is an experienced product design lead who collaborates with designers, product managers, developers, researchers, content strategists, and data scientists to build and grow CNN Politics product experiences that help inform & engage our users, and impact CNN's bottom line. As a senior member of the product design team, you will have the opportunity to shape CNN Politics products, with a heavy emphasis on data visualization, and customer acquisition and retention: You'll drive user interviews, feature discovery, wireframes and usability testing. You'll collaborate with talented members on a cross-functional team of designers, product managers, engineers, editorial and other partners. You'll partner with the product team to develop and drive design strategy and prototyping of direct-to-consumer politics features; registration and account management; and subscription services, with a strong emphasis on data visualization products. You'll steer the holistic view of the product suite across integration (customer and technical) points to provide a superior seamless product experience from daily improvements to longer-term strategies. While most of the Politics team resides in the New York, Washington D.C, and Atlanta metro areas, we are flexible with regards to location and remote work. Our organization is currently working entirely remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Utilize qualitative research and quantitative data to identify the right problems to solve, and optimize experiences, and measure results.
• Transform complex problems and interactions into delightful, accessible experiences across platforms and devices.
• Lead collaborative workshops, design execution to create best practices for the product design team, and mentor fellow designers.
• Create workflows, wireframes, design mockups and prototypes to effectively conceptualize product features.
• Perform usability tests and draw insights to make informed recommendations.
• Consistently calibrating the user experience, leveraging data and prototypes to support user needs and business rationale.
• Collaborate with a wide range of cross-collaborative partners - products, engineering, editorial, research, and others.
• 8 years related work experience leading digital experience at consumer-focused technology company is required.
• Experience building world class product experiences, streamlining workflows with continuous iteration and improvement.
• Mastery in UX software such as Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, Invision, Zeplin, etc and prototyping tools to demonstrate and test user experiences is a must.
• Foundational understanding HTML and CSS.
• Experience with enterprise application design and data visualization on both desktop and mobile platforms.
• Experience with D2C/B2B/SaaS customer journey modeling, conversion optimization strategies, and related business interaction models.
• Experience with CMS, design systems, and data API library development and documentation encouraged.
• Mastery and able to guide on user experience design, including usability principles, user research methodology, testing techniques (A/B, Multi-Variant), design theory, and interaction design.
• Demonstrated ability to partner with multiple internal and external stakeholders, and communicate insights across multiple levels of the organization.
• Excellent communication, facilitation, interpersonal skills, to clearly communicate and lead a diverse, multi-disciplinary team.
• Strong work ethic, integrity and collaborative approach to work; a passion for learning is critical.
• Willingness to roll up your sleeves and get things done.
• Takes smart risks and champion new ideas.
• Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent professional experience.
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
• 2018 Best Company for Dads
• An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands