Senior Evening Editor
Today DigitalNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Senior Evening Editor, Today Digital
Want to work with one of America's most loved and trusted brands? The TODAY Digital team covers newsmaking interviews, celebrity updates and cultural trends, as well as original and creative features. We're looking for a senior evening editor, based in New York or LA â€'' an independent self-starter with a strong editorial eye, who finds interesting and buzzy stories to grow and build digital and social audience. If you love to spot a story as it's going viral and have a great sense of what will turn into a talker before it's all over the internet, this is the job for you.
You will work Monday through Friday from 4pm-12am EST, lead coverage, manage a small team and have a lot of autonomy in the evening hours, which means you have impeccable news judgement and accuracy in your work.
• Oversee and manage a team of writers and editors for East Coast PM editorial coverage
• Assign and edit stories around the buzzy and trending stories that emerge on your shift. Work with writers to find interesting angles and elements to make a story sing
• Be obsessed with internet trends â€'' pop culture, news you can use, and familiar with the wide range of content TODAY covers
• Copy edit stories, following the rules of AP Style and meticulously check for factual errors and typos before publishing
• Be ready and willing to quickly jump in and write a story
• Distill a story into its most shareable and searchable elements, with SEO-friendly headlines and keywords
• Speak fluent Instagram, Twitter and Facebook (extra points for TikTok!). You'll be responsible for sharing work published in the evenings on social media, so you should have experience and be comfortable with identifying what will resonate with our audience. Be comfortable framing stories for and posting them to our social media platforms, identifying the content that will resonate with our audience and lend itself to being widely shared
• Find interesting and innovative stories â€'' whether it's the story everyone will be talking about that night (and into the next day) or an in-depth feature
• Coordinate with editors and producers on broadcast, site programming, and social team to assist in promotion or prep for the following day
• 7 years of writing/editing experience in a newsroom
• Previous and proven experience of managing an editorial
team or writers and editors
• Expertise writing SEO and social headlines
• Experience posting and optimizing to social media
• Working knowledge of social, video production and
online publishing tools
• Can be based in New York or LA
• Have a gut instinct for a good story. You're decisive on
angles and assignments, and you write in a fun, clear,
• Quick and accurate at all times: Typos drive you crazy.
Factual errors keep you up at night. You stay calm when
under pressure, think fast, and turn stories around
quickly and with no drama.
• Proactive â€'' you're constantly in search of an amazing
story that hasn't been told.
• You're obsessed with the latest trends on social media
and know how to turn those trends into shareable stories.
• Savvy with CrowdTangle, Domo and Chartbeat: You use
analytics to help guide story selection and pivot based on
• Armed with a positive attitude and an open mind. You're
ready to tackle any and every story sent, regardless of
• Desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive but
highly rewarding news environment.
• Be familiar with the TODAY brand.