Senior Entertainment Editor, Today Digital
Today DigitalNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Want to work with one of Americaâ€™s most loved and trusted brands? The TODAY Digital team covers newsmaking interviews, celebrity updates and cultural trends, as well as original and creative features. Weâ€™re looking for a senior editor to oversee pop-culture strategy through an SEO lens for TODAY. If youâ€™re an entertainment junkie who loves watching screeners to predict what the next buzzy tv show or movie is going to be, enjoys planning ahead and looking at the bigger picture, knows how to discern what questions audiences will ask before they even ask it with SEO in mind, this job is for you.
You will work with our team of editors and writers to assign and write stories â€'' keeping SEO top of mind â€'' about TV, movies, music, books, celebrities, and more. You will also work with the team to strategize coverage around big cultural moments like award shows and major premieres, in addition to working closely with TODAYâ€™s SEO manager to identify evergreen lifestyle ideas in the pop-culture space. Confidence in your instincts, an intimate understanding of SEO, and editing experience are all a must.
This position is represented by the News Guild.
The right candidate should:
• Be obsessed with pop culture, with a finger on the pulse and ahead of the curve of TV, movies, music, books, and celebrity.
• Have a passion for not just covering what people are talking about, but starting conversations, quickly ideating and activating on fresh and unique angles on pop-culture stories and trends.
• Be an SEO expert, one who knows how to easily evaluate search volume, navigate Google trends, and write punchy stories and explainers, keeping keyword placement and optimization top of mind.
• Be able to work closely with TODAYâ€™s SEO manager on the best ways to turn keyword research into fresh, voicey stories that keep in mind search engine optimization throughout.
• Love data and have experience analyzing stories that have performed, then replicating those strategiesâ€''and pivoting when they donâ€™t.
• Have a master of headline writing that can distill a story into its most shareable elements.
• Be a strong editor who can quickly edit stories, help writers find and shape their voice, and spot typos, while also quickly analyzing subheads, intros, and headlines for SEO.
• A passion for jumping in and quickly writing up a story, if needed.
• Speak fluent Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Facebook, and be comfortable framing stories for both SEO and social.
• Be familiar with the TODAY brand.
• 6 or more years of writing/editing experience in a newsroom
• Expertise assigning and optimizing stories for SEO
• Working knowledge of social, video production and online publishing tools
• Savvy with analytic programs like CrowdTangle, Parsley, Google Analytics, DOMO and Chartbeat to help guide story selection and pivot based on performance