Managing Editor, Social & Video Publishing
Today DigitalNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Managing Editor, Social & Video Publishing, Today Digital
Want to work with one of America's most loved and trusted brands? The TODAY Digital team covers newsmaking interviews, celebrity updates and cultural trends, as well as original and creative features. We're looking for a Managing Editor to oversee TODAY Digital's Social and Video teams, based in New York. The ideal candidate is an independent self-starter with a strong editorial eye and experience in social video and original social content. If you love to spot a story or identify an angle before it goes viral, create social content that drives conversation and create social moments from on-air must-see TV, then this job is for you. In this role, you'll lead social and video coverage for the TODAY brand while managing a team of social producers, content creators and video producers. This role is a leadership position within TODAY Digital, reporting to the Executive Editor.
• Oversee and manage a team of social producers, social video producers, content creators and a video programming team
• Define and execute a social strategy focused on growth and engagement across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and emerging platforms
• Define and execute a strategy to increase video views and identify areas for growth and opportunity in video across the Today.com site, YouTube and social
• Be a creative thinker and inspire creativity â€'' lead a team to create native social content based on TV moments, TODAY digital content, emerging trends, and must-see social video
• Work with content creators and creator talent to amplify and grow the TODAY brand
• Give regular feedback and expert guidance on framing stories for social and social platforms.
• Use data and analytics to inform content and opportunities for audience growth
• Coordinate social plans around key initiatives and tentpoles with editors and producers on broadcast, site programming, streaming, and marketing
• 10 years' experience in social and/or video within a
media company or newsroom
• Previous and proven experience managing a social team
and growing social audiences
• Previous and proven experience in social video
• Expertise writing social headlines and optimizing content
for social across platforms
• Working knowledge of video production and online
• Be both a strategic and creative thinker with a strong
• Based in New York
• Have a gut instinct for a good story or video. You're
decisive on angles and assignments that will resonate
with social and digital audiences.
• Quick and accurate at all times: Typos drive you crazy.
Factual errors keep you up at night. You stay calm when
under pressure, think fast, and turn stories around
quickly and with no drama.
• Proactive â€'' you're constantly looking to innovate across
social and create new content formats.
• You're obsessed with the latest trends on social media
and know how to turn those trends into shareable
• Savvy with CrowdTangle, Domo and Chartbeat: You use
analytics to help guide strategy and pivot based on
• Armed with a positive attitude and an open mind. You're
ready to tackle any and every story sent, regardless of
• Desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive but
highly rewarding news environment.
• Be familiar with the TODAY brand.