Vice President, Music Business and Legal Affairs Studio Content
The Walt Disney StudiosBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
We are seeking an Attorney experienced in all aspects of music business and legal affairs to join our team as VP, Music Business Affairs & Legal Counsel, supporting a studio making globally successful theatrical and streaming motion pictures.
The position requires the primary negotiation and drafting of a wide variety of complex agreements relating to the development, production, marketing, and exploitation of music for Studio motion pictures, such as rights acquisitions, agreements for composers, songwriters, recording artists, record producers, music supervisors, and other music-related talent. The position also provides general legal advice to all other departments with respect to music-related issues, including music licensing and guild-related matters.
• Advises, executes, and/or adjusts the approved strategies as they relate to music issues in motion picture development, production, and distribution. Sets, approves, and updates music-related policies and operating procedures. Develops annual plans and goals. Obtains and allocates resources to achieve strategic and operating goals.
• Interacts with senior executives throughout the Studio to provide expert advice for music-related business and legal decisions, and keeps them abreast of deal progress and other issues that impact areas of responsibility. Builds and enhances high-level internal and external relationships with talent representatives, music publishers, and record label executives.
• Delegates work to members of the department, and oversees and reviews their work-product. Provides guidance and advice to staff to motivate and insure maximum efficiency and quality of work.
• 7+ years of increasingly responsible experience in Music Business & Legal Affairs with significant hands-on experience in motion picture production, preferably with a major studio or equivalent law firm experience
• Ability to operate independently while developing and maintaining strong and trusted relationships with leaders of other departments
• Demonstrated ability to communicate at all levels
• Demonstrated ability to concisely convey complex issues and offer recommendations
• A proven leader in setting direction and achieving objectives
• Proven good judgement, effective deal-making, and contract drafting
Be part of bringing top song talent to the most integrated studio in the world! This includes sensations like Lin-Manuel Miranda for Hamilton and Encanto, Demi Lovato, Miley Cyrus, Elton John, Christina Aguilera, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Idina Menzel, Celine Dion, and so many more!