Manager, Digital Media Services
The Walt Disney StudiosBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Studio Operations manages one of the premier postproduction studios in the industry. Disney Digital Studio Services provides on-lot postproduction creative and technical services. Services include sound mixing, editorial rooms, theatre and screening room operation as well as a broad array of digital file-based services in support of filmmaking, asset finishing, distribution and archive. DDSS is focused on innovation, security, client service, quality, and efficiency.
The primary function of this role is to assist the Sr. Manager of Digital Media Services in support of on-lot filmmakers, marketing, and Post Production executives to ensure the on-time delivery of Disney films – including dailies support, Preview screening materials (DCPs), clip pulls, Data I/O, and other Ad Hoc work. The Manager must be technically knowledgeable, through the gathering and understanding of business requirements, technical specifications, schedules and workflows.
The Manager leads a team and coordinates with the digital operator team to ensure timely, accurate, and efficient delivery and ''owns'' the customer relationship between internal Walt Disney Company clients / stakeholders, third party customers and Disney Digital Studio Services. In addition, the Manager is a hospitality specialist who delivers excellent customer service by interacting comfortably with creative and executive team members. He/she must possess flexibility and creativity and be willing to assume challenges and increased responsibility, as well as keeping an eye out for ways to improve workflows/increase efficiency, etc. He/she must have experience leading a team with a strong focus on collaboration. He/she must have a strong desire to grow within the job, learn more about Disney Digital Studio Services initiatives and businesses.
Work responsibilities will include but are not limited to leading a team responsible for data I/O across the organization, day-to-day operational tasks such as workflow management, billing, issuing purchase orders, ISO 9001 compliance and metrics reporting. Disney Digital Studio Services provides on-lot creative and technical post-production services to filmmakers and Walt Disney Company stakeholders. Services offered by Disney Digital Studio Services include sound mixing, editorial rooms, theatre and screening room operation, as well as a broad array of digital file-based services in support of filmmaking, mastering, asset finishing, and distribution.
• Work order creation, scheduling, billing, meeting facilitation, and communication. The Manager creates work orders and partners with other managers to maintain the schedule book of our businesses and operations (including rooms, equipment, QC, delivery, etc.). He/she works together with clients to ensure that the proper time and facilities are available for work across the portfolio of business units in DDSS. The Manager maintains an ongoing daily communication regarding the status of the work. Due to the nature of production and post production, there is the need to proactively communicate how changing schedules impact work and costs. Work must then be closed out and billed in a timely manner.
• Project Manage: Use your knowledge and vision for digital services, along with the lessons learned by others in the industry to build partnerships with our operations colleagues and Studio allies to create innovative work-flows that are cost-effective, efficient, on time, and deliver quality. This includes managing the day-to-day priorities of Digital Operators and assisting them in performing their work.
• Client Services: The building and fostering of relationships with our internal and external customers – being a friendly and helpful person who is happy to serve our clients. The Manager supports the Senior Manager in understanding their Production Schedule needs and liaises with other departments (i.e. Engineering, QC, etc.) to ensure proper environment set up and availability of staff, rooms, food, etc. This often includes pairing clients with the right experts for consultation.
• Facility Rooms and Equipment Maintenance: The Manager will partner with Operation Managers in ensuring the facility is at its best, including managing storage, data I/O, equipment needs and other operational requirements to support the facility.
• Process Improvement & Innovation: Identify opportunities to improve existing workflows/systems and understand new technologies that we can leverage to be the most effective, innovative, and secure facility in the industry.
• Team Management: Lead a team responsible for coordinating data movement to and from the facility. Train and develop best in class team members and ensure 24 hour support as needed to support our customers. Ensure direct and indirect reports are the most effective teams in the industry.
• The Manager must have at least 8 years' experience partnering with filmmakers and executives, with a strong understanding of the motion picture post production process and technical delivery requirements. Strong understanding of connected collaboration tools used in post production and VFX such as cineSynch, Tweak RV and Nevion/T-Vips video gateways. ''Familiarity with facilities' rate cards and understanding how to present rates/budgets to clients. Experience leading a team and managing Data I/O. General and specific knowledge of the workflows and services offered within DDSS (with the ability to learn and grasp new workflow concepts in the context of the industry's changing requirements).
• The requirements for the Manager position include excellent organization, interpersonal, communication and time management skills, as well as strong technical working knowledge and fluency in film, video and data-centric workflows. In addition, the Manager must have a strong knowledge, with the capacity to learn more about customer requirements in motion picture post production and delivery in general and specific knowledge of the workflows and services offered within DDSS (with the ability to learn and grasp new workflow concepts in the context of the industry's changing requirements). The Manager will be an ambassador of the Digital Studio and must be able to embrace that important and demanding role.
• College Degree Preferred (field of study Media, Cinema, Post Production, etc. preferred)
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified interna