The Walt Disney StudiosBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
It's the magic of immersing yourself in a motion picture masterpiece, or a new track from your favorite band, or the spectacle of a live Broadway show. It's hard to define and even harder to create, but that's what we do at The Walt Disney Studios. Ours is a culture of innovation, collaboration and creativity. We raise the bar, then step over it, blazing trails through the production and distribution of world-class entertainment around the globe. If you want to help tell compelling, enduring stories through movies, music or stage plays, then we want to hear from you.
The Walt Disney Studios encompasses the creation, production, promotion, sales, acquisition and domestic and international distribution of live-action and animated motion pictures, home entertainment releases, live stage plays, and music and soundtrack recordings. From movie concept to film production, and global premieres to direct to consumer mobile applications, Studio Technology innovates and delivers solutions that support a studio whose content is legendary and transcends generations. As part of the Studio's Technology team you'll be joining a group of passionate, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry. We are looking for high-performing, motivated individuals who are generalists and proficient in many technologies and languages. Our team embraces disruptive thinkers who can drive innovation.
As part of the Disney Post Production Engineering Studio Technology team, the role of the Avid Engineer must:
• Provide proficient, high-level front-line, Tier-0 Avid engineering design/implementation /maintenance/technical support and client interaction for all post production activities associated with partnered post production departments including Marvel Studios Post, The Hive/ BVPM Trailer Marketing and Disney Feature Animation – all within The Walt Disney Studios.
• Participate in the design, installation deployment and support of ongoing Avid & Pro Tools systems with required peripherals & software for pre-production/post production systems including workflow processes and procedures tailored to the specific needs of supported business units.
• Collaborate effectively within Studio Technology and across other Studio teams (i.e., Projection Engineering, Craft Services, Backlot Trades, 40 Shop, Digital Studio Services) to ensure all post production requests and activities are handled & fulfilled in an expeditious/timely manner.?
• Serve as key technical liaison(s) with 3rd party technical services providers & vendors (i.e., Avid, Adobe, Quantum, HP, numerous others). This includes managing day-to-day service delivery, overall technical support and the maintenance of Service-Level-Agreements (SLAs), resource management and escalation policies, and all operational procedures and processes.
• Design/integrate/deploy and support Avid Media Composer and Pro Tools, Adobe CC, Apple Final Cut Pro edit systems across business units.
• Support file-based workflows - Avid File Gateway, Signiant, for post-production and editorial teams- with direct input from each line of business.
• Create and publish team SOPs
• Maintain equipment inventory and spares.
• Setup & support executive reviews - local and remote - which include monitor calibration, remote SDI video routing, kvm setup, video over IP, Clearview Flex?
• Travel out of town and ''on location'' as needed for site assessment, preparation and editorial system deployment.
• Ability to physically lift 40lbs
• Experience using and supporting waveform monitors, scopes, and video/audio signal analyzers & generators as well as sync measurement devices
• Knowledge of video & audio routing systems
• Experience calibrating display systems
• Experience with digital video signal chain, distribution systems and components (i.e., SDI Video DAs, video extenders, video converters, etc.) -
• Experience configuring & supporting Avid Nexis shared storage solution
• Familiarity with setting up, and testing remote review systems such as TVIPs & Clearview Flex & comparable transport stream multiplexing/switching sessions over IP
• Experience in creation & updating of technical line drawings and supported documentation for published use across Studio Technology engineering teams
• Avid ACSR certification or equivalent experience for Media Composer & Nexis
• Knowledge in video/audio engineering & signal flow, color science, common video and audio file codecs ats
• Expertise in Editorial, Digital Distribution workflows
• Expertise in signal troubleshooting- HD/SDI, AES, analog audio & video
• General knowledge of IP networking infrastructure
• General knowledge of monitor and display technologies (i.e. LCD, OLED, 2D/3D, etc.)
• When required- effectively provide Project Planning, including a full delineation of subtasks, bill-of-materials, time/labor components, etc., including the ability to re-prioritize and adjust when needed
• Avid ACSR – Elite, Pro Tools, Interplay/ Media Central & Cloud UX
• Experience in post-production engineering & front-end user support, preferably in a post- production facility, live-action, visual effects, or animation post production setting.
• Excellent customer-service orientation & client rapport with a full understanding of the nuances of supporting a fast-paced post-production environment
• Ability to multitask in a highly complex, diverse post production environment
• Ability to quickly prioritize decisions given, oftentimes with incomplete and conflicting knowledge
• Motivated, highly self-directed & being able to both manage and (re)prioritize the multiple concurrent and competing challenges, issues, ambiguities, and contradictions that inevitably occur when supporting post production.?
• Ability to assist in prioritization & communication across a talented team of Y-4 Engineers, ensuring a true esprit-'d-corps / team player mindset is maintained across the team
• Strong communication, analytical and problem-solving skills
• Knowledge of local attached, fiber attached, and networked file systems (e.g., Avid Nexis file systems, NFS, SMB, AFP, DFS, NTFS) -
• General knowledge of data transport tools (e.q. Signiant, Faspex, Aspera)
• Expert knowledge of operating system administration (e.g., Windows/XP and Macintosh OS)
• Understanding and ability to use Script-based tools (bash, perl, Python, etc.)
• This position is covered under a collective bargaining agreement- IATSE Local 700
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to