Set Extension Supervisor
The Walt Disney CompanyAncouver, BC
Full Time Job
The Set Extension Supervisor plays an integral role in the production team. In collaboration with the show leadership, they aid in determining the creative and technical approach for the generation of all set extension imagery for the show. This is a regular, full time, staff position that will be located at our Vancouver, BC studio. Please note that relocation eligibility may be determined based on role and individual circumstance.
• Works with the CG Supervisor - Environments to realize their vision to define and implement the style and practices for the show.
• Supervise a Set Extension team, working in conjunction with the show leadership, to identify and implement Set Extension production workflow processes, enabling the Director's vision to be realized
• Collaborate with show leadership to plan, prepare, and produce all Set Extension assets/shots for the show
• Collaborate closely with Directors, Production Designer, Art Director of Environments, Environment CG Sup, Environment Look Development Sup, and the Directors of Cinematography (Layout and Lighting), to oversee all efforts in stylistically extending the environments in a digital form
• Participate in the coordination of Production/Technology Set Extension tool development specific for the show and in context with the Studio as a whole
• Direct the continuing maintenance and optimization of the entire Set Extension production process
• Participate in the creation of Set Extension imagery
• Responsible for consumability and efficiency of artist deliverables into downstream departments.
• Participates in department processes, bidding, and reviews.
• Assesses resource needs and collaborates with department leadership in helping find staffing solutions.
• Creates an inclusive and safe work environment by carefully managing sensitive information, making rooms feel open and comfortable, creating space for everyone to have a voice, and addressing bias when it occurs.
• Guides the creative and technical vision/expectations for the team members.
• In tight conjunction with the CG Supervisor - Environments, Production Management, and AM, inspires and motivates the team.
• Contributes to the overall craft and development of team members through setting expectations, delivering consistent constructive feedback, recognition, and accountability.
• Models and fosters a collaborative work environment between individuals on the team and across departments.
• Identifies solutions and compromises in partnership with other supervisors.
• Provides regular updates to direct leader on the progress, health, and direction of the team.
• Keeps the team informed with context for show related changes and updates.
• Studio Culture-Actively fosters an inclusive, innovative, and collaborative environment so every employee can contribute at the highest levels.
• Technology, Tools and Workflow-Engages in the creation and execution of technical standards, pipeline conventions, and workflows to support the department, show, and studio.
• Department Stewardship-Partners closely with peers and Artist Manager to support an environment of creativity, trust, and innovation. Actively involved in assessment, casting, hiring, and overall growth of artists.
• Engagement and positive impact in the department, e.g. mentoring, training, leading initiatives, etc.
• Demonstrated proactivity in identifying and working with others to solve problems.
• Ability to quickly learn and adapt to WDAS standards, pipeline, tools, and workflows as they relate to the discipline you would be leading.
• Bachelor's degree or higher in Art, Illustration, Cinema Studies, Computer Graphics, Engineering or equivalent
• Has a combined technical and creative background
• Experience as a Set Extension Supervisor or similar role in CG Animation and/or Visual Effects production
• Experience with all aspects of computer graphics
• Strong knowledge of each of the following technical areas:
• 3D Modeling, Rigging, Camera and Animation, Simulation and Effects
• 3D Texture painting and mapping techniques
• 3D Lighting, Rendering, and Compositing techniques
• The Unix/Linux environment
• Python, Java and/or Mel scripting
• File management systems
• Skill in the following areas is desired:
• Traditional drawing, painting, design and/or sculpture
Our Company proudly provides equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. We welcome and encourage applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in any aspect of the selection process.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019's Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company (Canada) Ltd., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.