The Walt Disney CompanyLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
It's the magic of immersing yourself in a motion picture masterpiece, or a new track from your favorite band, or the spectacle of a live Broadway show. It's hard to define and even harder to create, but that's what we do at The Walt Disney Studios. Ours is a culture of innovation, collaboration, and creativity. We raise the bar, then step over it, blazing trails through the production and distribution of world-class entertainment around the globe. If you want to help, tell compelling, enduring stories through movies, music, or stage plays, then we want to hear from you.
Reporting to the VP, VFX, the Director, VFX is responsible for a slate at Searchlight Pictures, overseeing the visual effects plan, schedule, and budget. This role will partner with the VP, VFX, the Show Producer and the Show VFX Producer on all aspects of producing the highest quality visual effects for the project.
• Oversee VFX for theatrical projects under the leadership of the VP VFX, Production.
• Analyze scripts and creative materials for VFX requirements. This includes drafting detailed shot breakdowns and suggested methodologies to be used for bidding and budgeting.
• Work with Filmmakers, Studio Creative Execs and Production Execs to insure uniformity in scope, budget target and level of quality.
• Identify Vendor(s) from worldwide databases that are most suitable to bid on specific projects. Manage the bidding and comparative analysis process, negotiate vendor deal points.
• Identify freelance VFX Supervisors and/or Producers whose experience and expertise are most suitable to specific projects and filmmakers. Negotiate their deal points.
• Attends VFX reviews - ensuring quality expectations are met. Identifying any areas of concerns and work with the filmmakers to ensure creative goals can be completed within budget and schedule.
• Work with VFX Finance team to draft budget and maintain up-to-date VFX cost reports and EFCs.
• Liaise with vendors and cutting rooms to track the progress of VFX shots and sequences from conception through final delivery and integration into the Digital Intermediate.
• Work with Line Producers and UPMs to identify, budget and plan for all on set VFX requirements.
• Responsible for keeping the entire VFX component of project on budget and on schedule and insuring quality control. Approves VFX show budget and cost adjustments made throughout the project.
• Interact with Vendors on behalf of the Marketing and Franchise Departments to insure trailer shots are identified and prioritized for early delivery. Also insure costs are in line and technical requirements are met.
• Serves as VFX Producer for projects in development and before Show's VFX team is hired. In this capacity, liaises between production, and vendors, track shots from shoot through final delivery; manages all aspects of effects budget.
• Proactively work with Production and Post executives to identify areas of concern that will impact principal photography plan, turnover VFX plan, delivery of VFX, or other creative issues that may arise during Prep, Shoot, post on the film.
• Go on location or post location to attend scouts, production meetings and other VFX focused meetings/shoot days/turnovers/reviews/etc. for VFX oversight.
• Meet with VFX vendors, supervisors, producers as well as attend industry events to ensure an up to date knowledge base of technology, expertise, and general familiarity with industry trends.
• Work with Disney Research to forecast future technology needs and oversight on current projects where DRS technology is being integrated.
• Continue to work with the internal VFX department to maintain and improve various workflows, manage awards season activities, VFX templates and standards.
• 10 years' relevant experience
• Outstanding communication skills, written and oral.
• Demonstrated ability to work with others, both in a supervisory role and as a collaborative team player.
• Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 95 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today it brings quality movies, episodic storytelling, music, and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. The Walt Disney Studios encompasses a collection of respected film studios, including Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures. It is also home to Disney Theatrical Productions, producer of world-class stage shows.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company Ltd., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
The Walt Disney Company Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.