The Walt Disney CompanyBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
The Counsel opportunities for ABC Signature Legal Affairs, located in Burbank, CA and Twentieth Television Legal Affairs, located in Century City, CA, will be members of diverse and dynamic teams. You will work collaboratively with other lawyers and Business Affairs executives on all legal matters, and will be expected to provide guidance and direction reflecting sound judgment and substantive legal knowledge.
LEGAL EXPERTISE & LEADERSHIP:
• Provide direction and guidance in connection with all legal issues related to the production of original material.
• Draft, review and negotiate agreements for the development and production of original live action programming for telecast on a variety of platforms: streaming services and cable networks.
• Analysis and advice in connection with intellectual property matters, claims, clearances, and other matters arising out of the day-to-day operations of a large television studio. Clients will include such other departments as Business Affairs, Creative, Development, Production, Production Finance, Casting and Casting Administration, Contract Administration, Marketing, and Brand Management.
• Experience in the following areas is essential: live action, scripted television production; distribution and acquisition agreements; copyright; trademark; defamation; and rights of publicity and privacy.
CROSS-TEAM COLLABORATION & PARTNERSHIP:
• Work closely with the Litigation Department and outside counsel on litigation matters relating to all aspects of the business, including distribution, production, labor and clearances.
• Work closely with the corporate Intellectual Property group in connection with intellectual property issues, including anti-piracy, clearance, privacy/defamation, copyright, trademark and music issues.
• Coordinate with the corporate Tax Department on tax issues, working often in this regard with Production Finance and Business Affairs.
• Partner effectively and work closely with Labor Relations, Business Affairs and Production on high-level and strategic labor issues.
• Qualified candidate will have a JD degree and a minimum of 4 years' experience, preferably in Legal Affairs in the television or streaming industry. Intellectual property, corporate transaction and/or litigation experience at a major law firm or studio will also be considered.
• Demonstrated success in earning the trust of legal and business executives to handle complex and sensitive issues.
• Demonstrated ability to identify and analyze complex issues and devise solutions and strategies.
• Excellent negotiation, drafting, and writing skills; as well as ability to problem solve in an efficient, business-friendly, creative manner.
• Basic knowledge of AFTRA/SAG, DGA and WGA rules for live action content.
• A collegial and collaborative lawyer with a commitment to a positive working environment within the legal organization.
• Exceptional drafting, analytical and organizational skills.
• Ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently, executing multiple high priority projects with keen attention to detail.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, sound judgment and discretion.
• Excellent work ethic and interpersonal skills, including a healthy sense of humor and the ability to build professional, interdepartmental relationships at multiple levels.
• Television studio or production company experience preferred.
• Experience as a lawyer within a law firm.
• Law Degree
• Bar Membership (California is preferred)
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.