Character Look Development Supervisor
The Walt Disney CompanyVancouver, BC
This was removed by the employer on 1/6/2022 4:26:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Search for Character Look Development Supervisor jobs in Vancouver-BC
Search all Character Look Development Supervisor postings
Full Time Job
The Character Look Development Supervisor plays an integral role in the production team. They will work with a team of Look Development Artists, provide leadership and guidance, help them meet the high artistic standards of Disney Animation to create engaging characters, and ensure that the direction of the creative team is carried out on schedule and on budget. This is a regular, full time, staff position that will be located at our Vancouver, BC studio. Please note that relocation eligibility may be determined based on role and individual circumstance.
• Work with the CG Supervisor - Characters to realize their vision to define and implement the character look dev style and practices for the show.
• Supervise all aspects of Character Look Development to realize the Director's vision.
• Oversee and mentor a team of artists working together to create all the hair grooms, material surface properties & asset surface properties, including shaders, textures and hair grooms.
• Partner with Lighting Supervisors to ensure the correct light response for the film.
• Collaborate directly with the Art Director of Characters, Rigging Supervisor, Simulation Supervisor and Character Modeling Supervisor to realize characters which successfully encompass all artistic and technical criteria.
• Partner with Production Management and the CG Supervisor - Characters to make sure artists are on track to complete assignments on time and to top quality.
• Collaborate with the Environment Look Development Supervisor to maintain a common connection across the look of characters, environments, and set extensions
• Maintain functional parity between Look, Lighting, and FX
• Work closely with the Look, Lighting, and FX teams to ensure the successful collaboration, handoff and execution of the materials applied
• Analyze cost implications of requests or changes and notify production of resource over-runs.
• Manage complexity of Look Dev development.
• Stay abreast of the development of new Look Dev tools.
• Where necessary, participate in the creation of assets.
• Responsible for consumability and efficiency of artist deliverables into downstream departments.
• Participates in department processes, bidding and reviews
• Assesses resource needs and collaborates with department leadership in helping find staffing solutions.
• Creates an inclusive and safe work environment by carefully managing sensitive information, making rooms feel open and comfortable, creating space for everyone to have a voice and addressing bias when it occurs.
• Guides the creative and technical vision/expectations for the team members.
• In tight conjunction with the CG Supervisor - Characters, Production Management and AM, inspires and motivates the team.
• Contributes to the overall craft and development of team members through setting expectations, delivering consistent constructive feedback, recognition, and accountability.
• Models and fosters a collaborative work environment between individuals on the team and across departments.
• Identifies solutions and compromises in partnership with other supervisors.
• Provides regular updates to direct leader on the progress, health and direction of the team.
• Keeps the team informed with context for show related changes and updates.
• Studio Culture-Actively fosters an inclusive, innovative, and collaborative environment so every employee can contribute at the highest levels.
• Technology, Tools and Workflow-Engages in the creation and execution of technical standards, pipeline conventions and workflows to support the department, show and studio.
• Department Stewardship-Partners closely with peers and Artist Manager support an environment of creativity, trust, and innovation. Actively involved in assessment, casting, hiring, and overall growth of artists.
• Minimum 2 years of leadership experience that demonstrates a strong ability to lead and mentor others.
• Experience as a Look Development Supervisor or similar role in CG Animation and/or Visual Effects production
• Ability to quickly learn and adapt to WDAS standards, pipeline, tools and workflows as they relate to the discipline you would be leading.
• Bachelor's degree or higher in Art, Illustration, Cinema Studies, Computer Graphics, Engineering or equivalent experience.
• Has a combined technical and creative background
• Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor teams, both in Production and Technology
• Strong knowledge of each of the following technical areas:
• 3D Texture painting and mapping techniques
• 3D Lighting, Rendering, and Compositing techniques
• The Unix/Linux environment
• Python, Java and/or Mel scripting
• File management systems
• Skill in the following areas is desired:
• Traditional drawing, painting, design and/or sculpture
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019's Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company (Canada) Ltd., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.