Planning Editor, NBC & Telemundo
Full Time Job
General Responsibilities:The Planning Editor will help craft and execute the strategic vision for KXAS and KXTX news operations. The successful candidate will work with both KXAS and KXTX on daily news gathering, scheduling and breaking news execution. This position reports directly to the Managing Editor for both KXAS and KXTX. A keen understanding of news cycles for broadcast and digital platforms, as well as an exceptional level of news judgment is vital to succeed in this role. A strong background in both short and long term planning is key. He or she will inspire and instill confidence in the staff, and foster teamwork and collaboration across the duopoly newsroom.
• Develop unique content for reporters and pacers for both NBC and Telemundo newscasts
• Keeps up with current events for potential stories and story developments
• Stays on top of stories we need to follow up on small or big
• Identifies big events and key dates ahead of time and develops a plan of execution
• Keeps up with social media for possible stories and updates
• Develops local contacts for story tips and leads on stories
• Checks emails throughout the day for press releases adding the information to the newsroom's daysheet
• Maintain the daysheet organized with information needed for the day and upcoming weeks
• Stays on top of local and national papers for stories and developments
• Familiar with local court systems for coordination of stories and logistics
• Communicates with all NBC and Telemundo dayparts about possible stories for the newscasts
• Builds the lookahead note with information for crews on their stories and story angles notifying them ahead of time
• Sends out the daily coverage note for NBC and Telemundo
• Leads the planning meeting with a plan of execution and potential stories
• Constantly works and communicates with the assignment desk on potential leads and stories
• Fill in as an Assignment Editor
• 5 years experience in planning GA coverage, large news productions, and development of content
• Must be fluent in English and Spanish (reading, writing & speaking)
• Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or related broadcast field or equivalent experience
• Possess an understanding of the technologies used in the newsroom including Chyron, iNews, Stratus, News Ticker and various digital search tools.
• Experience in story enterprise and story execution
• Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through the link below to be considered
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be willing to work in Dallas/Fort Worth area just south of DFW airport
• Must be 18 years or older
• Must have a valid driver's license
• Must have the ability to work any of a 24 x 7 shift
• Must accept Solutions as NBCUniversal's Alternative Dispute Resolution program
• Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols if Company determines your job position requires accessing an NBCUniversal worksite.
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
• Demonstrate strong management, leadership, communication, collaborative and customer service (internal and external) skills, and a passion for self-development
• Proactive, flexible, adaptable, energetic, organized, detailed oriented and able to multi-task and problem solve in a high-energy, fast-paced and constantly transforming environment.
• Proven ability to train as a subject matter expert.
• Proven ability to take a results-oriented approach to work and leverage resources for competitive advantage.
• Demonstrate a highly developed skill as a critical thinker to work with other managers and staff to spot reporting holes, bias and other issues.
• Proven ability to use time effectively, efficiently and productively, and meet deadlines.
• Eye for news stories
• Has an understanding of the NBC and Telemundo news culture, audiences and story needs
• Commitment to accuracy and integrity
• Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
• Strong editorial judgment, researching, strategic thinking, and organization skills
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments to meet deadlines
• Excellent time-management skills
• Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with other team members