Intern - Performance Science
Tampa Bay RaysSaint Petersburg, FL
Part Time Unpaid Internship
We are seeking candidates with a passion for winning through improving player development and performance, injury prevention, nutrition, and enhancing player well-being through sports science. These unique positions offer interns the opportunity to integrate sports science, athletic training, strength and conditioning, and nutrition aimed at improving the performance and well-being of players across the entire Rays organization. Both full season (Feb – Oct) and summer positions (May – Sept) will be considered. We understand that your current situation may not fit these timelines perfectly, thus we are flexible with start and end dates for the internship. Please note that these internship positions often have the potential to lead to full-time employment offers with the Rays organizations, but such an offer is not guaranteed.
This internship is conditional upon a Minor League Baseball season. We are very optimistic that some form of a season will happen and look forward to providing an educational experience. We ask for patience and flexibility with certain timelines and information as we work with MLB to put the best plan together possible.
• Implement and maintain various sports science, performance, nutritional, and sports medicine research initiatives across the Rays organization.
• Data collection and analyses of a variety of sports science data sources, for the purpose of player valuation, injury risk assessment, athlete well-being assessment, decision analysis, etc.
• For interns with appropriate credentialing, assist with providing athletic training and/or nutrition services to our players
• Effectively interact and communicate with a diverse team of individuals from all across the organization including sports science staff, sports medicine personnel, registered dietitians, front office personnel, coaches, medical and scouting.
• Exploration of new sports science technologies that may provide novel, impactful value to the organization.
• Assist with data integration into our current databases of all sports science and medical assessment data sources.
• Various other sports science, nutrition, and athletic training focused daily duties across the organization, as necessary.
• A strong foundation in sports science including, but not limited to biomechanics, sports medicine, exercise physiology, athletic training, and/or neuromuscular control. Graduate level education in these areas is highly desired.
• A strong foundation in nutritional sciences. Graduate level education in these areas is highly desired.
• Clinical experience (and accompanying certifications) in the areas of athletic training and/or nutrition are highly desired.
• Demonstrated experience and coursework in statistics, computer science, and/or engineering is beneficial.
• In addition to working closely with the broader Baseball Performance Science team, we desire candidates who will challenge the status quo and explore new research opportunities. Previous interns have developed ideas that have changed the way the organization approaches important challenges.
Ideal candidates will possess:
• Trustworthiness and the ability to maintain the confidentiality of work materials and processes.
• Strong work ethic and attention to detail.
• Open-mindedness and respect for others' opinions.
• Desire and aptitude to develop new skills.
• Ability to develop and execute advanced research study designs to evaluate complex questions.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team.
• Ability to clearly communicate complex ideas to a variety of audiences.