Sundance Film FestivalRemote, US
Full Time Job
The Manager, Communications is responsible for developing highly creative, effective, and visible media relations campaigns, maintaining regular communication with media and internal stakeholders, and working as the lead media relations liaison to assigned programs.
The position is output-intensive and results-driven, and encompasses year-round proactive strategic publicity alongside interdepartmental communications. The successful candidate will play a crucial role in publicizing the Sundance Film Festival, and will be responsible for annually hiring, training, and managing a seasonal team of publicity liaisons and Festival Press Office staff.
Working directly under the Institute's Director, Communications, and with a dotted line of collaboration to the CCO, the Manager also supports departmental communications and spearheads process implementation. This position is full time and will be based in either the greater Salt Lake City, Utah or the greater Los Angeles, CA area. All staff are currently working remote and once we reopen our offices employee flexibility will be top of mind. This role will be required to work extended hours, including evenings and weekends, at key points throughout the year. Occasional travel to other Institute offices and events will also be required.
Top priorities include but are not limited to…
• Managing all media communications for assigned programs, including researching and gathering information, drafting media materials, and creating and executing a strategy to engage targeted outlets and writers.
• Collaborating with the Director and CCO to create and execute strategic plans for advocacy, thought leadership, executive visibility, and other nontraditional publicity and communications (non-media relations) strategies and opportunities.
• Training and managing the seasonal team for the Festival staff and overseeing Festival Press Office operations.
• Leading Utah media relations, managing press relationships and creating strategies around local, year-round programs and initiatives.
• Writing, editing, and managing of press releases, media alerts, tip sheets, and other announcement materials.
• Proactively creating and pursuing media opportunities on behalf of the breadth of programs that empower historically underrepresented storytellers, the Festival, and additional areas throughout the year.
• Building and leveraging strong relationships with press and film influencers to ensure inclusion around artist programs and industry trend pieces to help build the profile of the Sundance Institute.
• Routing and responding to requests for information, photos, and interviews.
• Working collaboratively with colleagues in marketing and social media to develop thorough communication plans and to coordinate announcements.
• Managing the Sundance Institute press site; overseeing announcements distribution; updating status reports; and additional tasks as needed.
• Creating reports and analyzing press coverage and metrics.
• Managing department operations, including functions and processes.
• Liaising with outside vendors as assigned.
You have the following direct or transferable skill sets:
• Legal authorization to work in the United States.
• 5 years of experience in increasingly responsible positions within communications, publicity, public relations or media relations.
• Strong leadership skills with a background that includes demonstrated excellence in managing employees.
• Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills to build strong relationships and work across the organization in order to drive results.
• Highest levels of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
• Strong consultation, presentation, meeting design, and facilitation skills.
• Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality, understanding the implications their actions will have on the organization.
• Ability to work nights and weekends around events and key deadlines.
• Experience within a comparable arts, culture, or film organization preferred.
• Experience in film festival press office management or related preferred.
You will be successful in this role if you...
• Demonstrate a proactive approach to building media relations, developing strategies for visibility of programs, and securing press.
• Deliver your projects on time and with excellence in execution.
• Enjoy and possess strong writing and editing skills.
• Can multitask effectively and be resourceful.
• Effectively manage and motivate those you are leading, rallying the team around common goals.
• Communicate clearly with internal and external stakeholders of varying levels and positions.
• Bring expertise in media relations and execute successful PR campaigns.
Salary is commensurate with experience and office location. The Sundance Institute also offers amazing benefits & perks, including:
• Over 25 paid holidays
• Health, vision, and dental insurance
• Paid sick, family, and medical leave
• 401(k) with automatic 3% employer contribution after one year of employment
• Sundance Film Festival passes and benefits (varies each year)
• Mission driven workplace and amazing co-workers