Labs Projectionist and A / V Specialist
Sundance Film FestivalPark City, UT
Full Time Job
The Projectionist and A/V Specialist is charged with preparing film and video and running screenings for the Sundance Institute Catalyst Forum, where filmmakers and investors connect through presentations, individual meetings, panels, and informal social moments. This position also works closely with staff to prepare for presentations and programs by directly liaising with Advisors and Fellows.
Working closely under the Director, Technical Exhibition, the Projectionist and A/V Specialist supports Sundance Institute's commitment to support program staff, Advisors, and Fellows ensuring all films, presentation decks and presenter clips as well as Institute presentation materials are prepared and presented in technically excellent manner highlighting the vision of all constituents.
This temporary position works a variable hour schedule from Tuesday, September 6, 2022 through Friday, September 23, 2022 out of our Screening Room at the Sundance Resort. This position can expect to work anywhere from 10-20 hours per week leading up to the Catalyst Forum event, and full time hours during the Forum (Friday, September 16, 2022 through Wednesday, September 21, 2022). Extended hours, including evenings and weekends will be required at key points throughout the duration of its employment.
Top priorities include but are not limited to…
• Preparing prints pre- and post-screening according to set guidelines and conducting screenings.
• Preparing and editing clip programs and coordinating playback in a live show setting, including lighting, and audio and visual portions of the program.
• Working with staff and artists to understand and meet their needs in order to prepare and run successful presentations.
• Performing routine maintenance on equipment, including setting up and adjusting AV to ensure functionality.
• Maintaining cleanliness and safety of equipment, booth, and the screening room at all times.
• Contacting each film's technical representative to obtain detailed information about formats and other special print considerations as necessary.
• Reporting regularly to the Manager on screening room activities, maintenance issues, and needs.
• Ensuring routine collaboration with post-production supervisor and lab staff to conduct quality presentation of scenes and advisor presentations which require different formats.
• Setting up and maintaining front-of-house presentations.
• Conducting recordings of Director's Lab readings for the Sundance Archive as directed.
• Providing assistance with setup, teardown and troubleshooting panels, screening room, and lobby as directed.
• Receiving and shipping out equipment with the Production team.
You have the following direct or transferable skill sets:
• Legal authorization to work in the United States.
• 3 years projectionist experience running video, 35mm, 16mm, and sound equipment.
• A valid driver's license and the successful completion of a DMV check, as well as the ability to pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical exam for commercial motor vehicles.
• Working knowledge of 35mm, 16mm, High Definition Video, Cue-Based Software, Computer Codecs, and digital projection source equipment and systems.
• Strong knowledge of the four sound formats in booth.
• Basic knowledge of lighting and public address board operations.
• Ability to collaborate and work successfully in a team environment.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work successfully with all levels of staff and a wide variety of people.
• Ability to manage expectations of others.
• Able to lift, carry, and push items up to 50 lbs.
You will be successful in this role if you...
• Consistently have effective, clear, and concise communication with all stakeholders.
• Successfully manage your time and prioritize tasks to ensure projects and deadlines are met.
• Build and sustain collaborative and good working relationships across internal and external stakeholders.
• Focus on execution of present exhibitions and remain undisturbed by future exhibitions or tasks.
In addition to an hourly pay of $24.17, this position comes with awesome benefits & perks, including:
• Eligibility for paid sick leave and holidays
• Employee assistance program