Sundance Film FestivalLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
APPLYING TO SUNDANCE
We believe that individuals can spark new ideas that entertain, push creative boundaries, and ignite empathy and understanding that can ultimately lead to social change. We not only look for these attributes in the artists we support, but the extraordinary talent that we hire to bring our mission to life. With that, we encourage individuals from diverse and historically underrepresented communities, as well as those with unique and transferable skill-sets from various industries, to apply to join the Sundance community.
Sundance Institute, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, is looking for a proactive and innovative individual to assess, re-envision, and implement our legal functions through an equity-based lens, preferably to be based in LA. The work of the General Counsel is largely driven by providing legal and strategic organization advice, as well as research and counsel to management and the board. The General Counsel will also champion the Institute's values and principles to further its efforts in creating a more just workplace environment.
Reporting to the Managing Director and Chief Financial Officer, this position will have 0 direct reports and 2-3 occasional indirect reports (i.e. interns). Top priorities for this position include, but aren't limited to:
• Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations nationally and internationally.
• Prepares and reviews non-profit grant contracts and legal documents associated with funding.
• Drafts and reviews corporate sponsor contracts, in-kind contracts, real estate leases, employment and consultant agreements, marketing agreements, tech services and systems agreements and all other vendor or licensing agreements.
• Drafts and reviews participation and grantee agreements for all Institute labs, programs and festivals, and negotiates same with artist counsel where applicable
• Drafts and reviews Co//ab lead instructor and program agreements
• Coordinates, manages and delivers timely responses and advice to inquiries from staff and management.
• Collaborates on updates to Employee Handbook and other HR matters
• Provides advice and counsel to management and Board on operational and contractual legal issues as needed; ensures compliance with by-laws and protocols as applicable
• Monitors legal standards and requirements for non-profit organizations and ensures organization is in line with best practice.
• Works with management on new projects researching legal and organizational structure needs.
• Prepares legal opinions on impact of relevant current and proposed legislation at a local, state and national level.
• Manage the Institute's international and national privacy and other internet-related issues including GDPR requirements and state requirements for Institute's digital products such as Sundance.org, Sundance Co//ab and Digital Festival.
• Manage, research and stay current on copyright and other IP issues arising from digital pivot from live events.
• Manage and monitor OFAC and other international issues arising from Institute's international artistic and business outreach
• Responsible for engagement, oversight and management of outside counsel, including, where possible, negotiating pro bono or ''low bono'' assistance from outside legal experts
• Advise program groups and collaborate in the preparation of artist-facing legal and business affairs programs for labs, festivals and Co//ab including setting curriculum, creating materials and engaging expert panelists
• Administer and maintain an electronic contract management system for the organization including utilizing DocuSign and Contracts Management software; implement strategies for streamlining contracts management throughout the Institute
• Manage the company's copyrights, trademark rights and other intellectual property rights.
• Oversee and advise on Institute relations and contracts with Park City, and parent and affiliated Sundance organizations
• Engage and supervise law school externs, including devising learning opportunities.
• Negotiate with celebrity artist representatives regarding participation in Institute and Festival events, juries and panels
Ethics and Compliance
• Serve on the internal team managing the organization's security and code of conduct issues.
• Develops, enhances, maintains and implements the corporate compliance plan and standards.
• Establish and implement effective programs and initiatives that further create an ethical organizational structure, including trainings.
• Lead case teams for managing and investigating internal incidents related to EEOC compliance.
• Assists in drafting and/or review of all new policies/procedures and general practices to ensure that they meet legal, ethical and compliance standards.
• Conducts internal investigations when necessary, and prepares findings.
• Monitor organizational practices to ensure legal compliance.
• Develop and disseminate communications with reference to the code of conduct and ethics reporting.
• Assists Human Resources on any employment law issues.
• Coordinate with outside counsel addressing complaints, if any
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
You have the following direct or transferable skill-sets:
• Legal authorization to work in the United States.
• Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
• 7 years minimum work experience as a Senior Attorney with a law firm and/or as in-house counsel- (work with non profit arts organization preferred).
• Member of California, Utah, or New York Bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel in California.
• Experience with and/or knowledge of entertainment law.
• Deep hands-on experience in drafting and editing contracts.
• Experience in a complex legal and compliance environment.
• Ability to compose and edit legal opinions and other written materials.
• Must be detail-oriented with strong project management and organizational skills.
• Proficient in computer-assisted legal research, document editing and contract management, including Word, Excel, Google Docs.
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse, multi-location community.
• Ability to work nights and weekends around key deadlines and events.
In addition to an annual salary in the range of $160,000 - $180,000, this position comes with awesome benefits & perks, including:
• Health, vision, and dental insurance
• Paid sick, family, and medical leave
• 401(k) with automatic 3% employer contribution after one year of employment
• Sundance Film Festival passes and benefits (varies each year)
• Mission driven workplace and amazing co-workers
• (1) Annual membership up to $1,000 to an association of your choice
BEFORE YOU APPLY
If you have the qualifications, feel this is a position that you would enjoy and excel in, then send us a cover letter along with your resume. Please use your cover letter to give us a summary of an accomplishment in a similar role and why Sundance Institute would be your employer of choice!
Please apply by Sunday, August 16th for consideration.