Associate Editorial Director
Sundance Film FestivalLos Angeles, CA
This was removed by the employer on 9/10/2021 9:17:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Film Festivals Category
Browse the Marketing/Publicity/PR Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Associate Editorial Director jobs in Los Angeles-CA
Search all Associate Editorial Director postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire an Associate Editorial Director?
Full Time Job
The Associate Editorial Director, is charged with setting and upholding the editorial integrity of the Sundance Institute by establishing and overseeing the Institute's brand storytelling through the written word.
Working closely under the Creative Director and in collaboration with the Chief Communications Officer, the Associate Editorial Director, will steer and manage Sundance Institute's creative editorial strategy and execution. The role will define, shape, and guide the Institute's voice across all platforms, and plan, assign, edit, manage content, and contribute in writing and developing marketing campaign and editorial concepts, as well as business-to-business-, industry-, and consumer-facing content. The position will manage two editorial writers, along with seasonal employees, to ensure consistently high-quality copy and products, as well as work collaboratively with writers for our digital products, including our online platform and Sundance Collab.
This position will work full-time in either our Los Angeles, Park City, or NYC office, but is currently working remotely due to COVID-19. This role may travel and be lodged in Park City, Utah, during the annual Sundance Film Festival and will need to work extended hours, including some evenings, weekends, and holidays, to meet deadlines.
Top priorities include but are not limited to…
• Developing, defining, and leading our editorial strategy.
• Generating innovative stories that benefit respective brand- and community-building goals.
• Discovering new ways to connect the work of the Institute to our artists and general audience.
• Setting and maintaining brand voice and tone; ensuring that messaging is consistent across channels and mediums.
• Overseeing the editorial team in creative concepting, editing, fact-checking, and proofreading editorial pieces (articles, watchlists, interviews, etc.), marketing campaigns, email newsletters, and social copy.
• Managing and mentoring a team of writers and editors in the creation and implementation of printed and digital assets, such as the Festival program guide and Festival catalog.
• Pursuing external partnerships.
• Partnering and collaborating throughout the department, from design to marketing to social teams, and others across the organization to develop campaigns and support the work of the organization.
• Overseeing all editorial tasks, managing workloads and tracking deadlines.
• Mining the Sundance Institute in the service of brand storytelling, helping to position the Institute as a leader in the industry.
• Keeping your finger on the pulse of culture across different platforms and audiences, and finding ways for the Institute to participate in relevant conversations.
• Identifying, negotiating, and working with Legal and Human Resources to issue contracts with vendors and independent contractors.
• Mentoring the editorial team to ensure ongoing professional development and career growth.
You have the following direct or transferable skill sets:
• Legal authorization to work in the United States.
• 8 years direct experience as a copywriter, journalist, or editor.
• Experience managing an editorial calendar.
• Experience concepting, executing, and packaging new blog franchises.
• Strong management skills, with direct experience managing a team.
• Exceptional writing, editing, and fact-checking skills.
• Experience with marketing copywriting as well as with UX copywriting.
• The ability to generate imaginative story ideas that draw interest and create excitement in our work.
• A solid understanding of analytics; the ability to apply a data-centric approach to testing and optimizing content.
• Strong interpersonal and professional skills; the ability to work collaboratively with and mentor others.
• Prior experience building and managing budgets
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Experience with HTML and SEO; experience working with various content management systems.
• BA in English, journalism, communications, or a related degree (or equivalent experience).
• Previous coursework in copyediting preferred.
• The ability to manage multiple priorities in a high-volume, fast-moving environment.
You will be successful in this role if you...
• Demonstrate strong writing and editing skills to produce captivated and well received content.
• Infuse a passion for independent storytelling in all forms into your work.
• Present information clearly and effectively to internal and external stakeholders of varying levels and positions.
• Come up with ideas; concepting and creating content that gets written, shared, and talked about.
• Stay on the pulse of cultural conversations.
• Multitask effectively and show resourcefulness.
• Consistently deliver your projects on time and with excellence in execution.
• Effectively manage and motivate those you are leading, rallying the team around common goals.
• Exude operational excellence, including the ability to problem solve within your work and the work of your team so change can happen quickly and efficiently.