SpyNew York, NY
Full Time Job
SPY: Managing Editor
We are recruiting for a Managing Editor to join SPY.com, Penske Media Corporation's e-commerce and men's lifestyle website covering gadgets, men's style, grooming, health/fitness gear, and more. Candidates must have experience managing an editorial team, ideally in the e-commerce space, along with a track record of being awesome. They must be a savvy editor with a strong knowledge of SEO and a love for all types of shopping content. The Managing Editor can be based in either our West Los Angeles headquarters or in our Midtown Manhattan offices located on Bryant Park.
This person will also be integral in handling day-to-day operations including receiving and tracking freelance invoices, assigning and scheduling content for the website and newsletter, and managing the monthly budget. The managing editor is also responsible for ensuring affiliate marketing best practices are met. We are especially interested in candidates with proven experience in audience development and team building.
• Oversee day-to-day execution of the editorial content strategy (assignments, planning, deadlines, and editing).
• Manage a team of in-house and freelance writers and recruit additional editorial talent to expand contributor pool.
• Manage full-time writers/editors and help them develop their editorial skills.
• Lead editorial pitch meetings and approve content in line with SPY's editorial vision.
• Monitor traffic analytics to make sure the team is hitting big-picture traffic goals.
• Find new revenue opportunities and help the team optimize top-performing content for affiliate marketing.
• Grow audience across multiple distribution channels (search, social, and newsletter).
• Minimum 5 years of experience working in a fast-paced digital environment, with a focus on editing and assigning content, preferably for a men's lifestyle or e-commerce website.
• Proven ability to manage, mentor and build an editorial team.
• A passion for digital media and well-versed in a content management system.
• Should have a collaborative spirit and be energetic and approachable, whether in person or on email.
• Well versed in Google Analytics (and you're not afraid to use it).
• A strong understanding of SEO best practices.
• Experience with affiliate marketing platforms such as Amazon Associates, Skimlinks and direct affiliate networks.
SPY.com is a discovery and reviews platform, connecting men with the latest tech, style, smart gadgets, and health and grooming staples you can't find elsewhere. We bring guys under-the-radar releases and top-rated picks from across the globe. We're passionate about products and discerning when it comes to our recommendations. SPY's team of expert contributors spy trends and pride ourselves on being tastemakers. Most importantly, we never recommend a product or service we aren't willing to buy ourselves.