Vice President, Marketing Strategy - Funimation
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Vice President, Marketing Strategy - Funimation
JOB DESCRIPTION: Vice President, Marketing Strategy – Funimation
POSITION CAN BE LOCATED IN CULVER CITY, CA OR DALLAS, TX
Funimation, a Sony Pictures Television Networks Company, is the go-to destination for extraordinary anime. By combining its integrated in-house studios along with its technology and distribution partnerships, Funimation leads the industry with its omnichannel approach to offering anime to fans – from streaming and home entertainment to theatrical distribution and broadcast television. The company's next generation streaming service, FunimationNow, provides subscribers with instant access to their favorite sub and dub shows in ad-free HD on the widest array of devices and platforms – from smartphones and tablets to TV's and gaming consoles.
Our Core Purpose: To fascinate fans and enrich lives with compelling entertainment experiences that excite, delight, inspire and connect.
Our Core Values: Be Humble | Play to Win |Treat People Right | Bring Your Passion | Own It | Unleash Creativity and Innovation | Honesty is ''The'' Policy | Communication is Leadership | Characters with Character
Funimation is currently seeking a Vice President of Marketing to lead Brand Marketing for one of the largest and most respected companies in the anime marketplace. Funimation is the market leader in the acquisition, creation, production, distribution, licensing and marketing of our wide-ranging anime, TV and movie slate. We're looking for a highly creative and analytical marketing leader with a proven track record of driving and accelerating growth and engagement with both mass market and niche brands. You are strongly consumer-focused and believe that collaboration drives innovation. You're a data-driven leader with a proven ability to develop and execute effective strategies as well as build strong and high-performing teams. You are highly analytical but also an out-of-the-box thinker with a creative mind. As the VP, Marketing Strategy you will be a valued member of the executive team and report directly to the Chief Marketing Officer.
This role can be LA or Dallas based; we are open to both scenarios. The LA-based option will require frequent travel to Dallas.
Oversight and stewardship of the Funimation Brand
• Develops strategy for scaling the Funimation brand globally including refining the essence, mission, personality and cultural relevance
• Infuses the Funimation brand essence into every customer touchpoint in engaging and unexpected ways
• Oversee all marketing initiatives that tell the story of the Funimation brand and raises its profile and emotive connection with consumers; works across all marketing teams (digital/paid media, CRM, social, etc.) to execute programs flawlessly
• Oversee development of earned media and communications strategies to support theatrical launches
• Work with internal stakeholders and corporate communications teams on all internal communications
• Manage all customer insight research projects to further understand the Funimation fan
• Use quantitative and qualitative techniques to understand audiences and segments for different marketing approaches
• Implement longitudinal studies and measurement techniques to track fan affinity to the Funimation brand
Creative execution oversight
• Oversight over two creative squads that oversee creative assets spanning digital, TV, print, out of home, packaging design and experiential displays
• Oversees voice of the Funimation brand through direct management of copy writers via creative squads as well as in partnership with the Funimation community efforts
• Updates brand book and style guides as brand evolves; oversees creative consistency over multiple geographies
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Consumer Orientation - Able to think consumer-first, distill insights and drive relevant strategies that drive consumer engagement and Funimation sales.
• Creative – Consistently delivers strategic creative direction that has the ability to break through the clutter; oversees creative direction of all mediums including packaging, events, print and digital
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
• Product Marketing - Proven ability to successfully launch new releases and think through a lifecycle management lens.
• Significant leadership skills and collaboration – Able to influence others, drive consistent execution, effectively build high-performing teams, effectively address challenges and lead a team to solutions.
• Business Acumen – Agile decision-making, ability to formulate a strong POV and adjust plans strategically in a changing environment.
• Product fluency - able to liaise with product and engineering in productive conversations around brand essence and user experience
• High Initiative - Able to create and drive plans independently.
• Bachelor's degree required, MBA preferred
• Minimum of 10 years of relevant marketing experience in a fast-paced, product-oriented, consumer-driven company with a least 5-7 years in direct to consumer businesses
• Experience taking a brand global and overseeing creative teams in multiple geographies
• Proven ability to build marketing strategies tied to business plans (long and short-term).
• Proven skills at managing client and stakeholder relationships across borders
• Previous experience in entertainment, anime or media is a plus
• 2-3 years of brand management experience at top tier CPG companies a plus
• 2-3 years of e-commerce or start-up experiences a plus
• 2-3 years of management or strategy consulting experience a plus
• Proficiency in Japanese is a bonus.
• Current anime fan or desire to deeply understand anime and the anime fan
• Microsoft Office (Outlook, PowerPoint & Excel).
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios