Vice President, Content Development
Sony PicturesMexico, DF
Full Time Job
Vice President, Content Development
The Vice President, Development will report directly to the MD & SVP of Production for Latin America and US Hispanic and will work closely with the senior management team of Latin America and USH production. His/Her objective will be to establish SPT - USH/Latin America Production's reach in original programming in the US Hispanic and Latin American markets through creative development. He/She will be responsible for leading the development efforts of Sony's Latin America and USH Production division and ensuring the long-term success of the organization as a leading provider of quality Spanish language programming.
His/her main goal is to bring compelling stories and projects to the division, pair these projects with the best creative writers in the region, oversee the development process and collaborate with the production team once projects are greenlit for production.
• Identify IP & engage writers to develop that IP for daily series in USH/Latam; guiding those writers to deliver high quality, relevant development materials.
• Source, evaluate, develop, champion and sell ideas and concepts for scripted projects relevant to commissioning broadcasters throughout USH and Latam; local in scope, regional in appeal with a focus on Colombia, Mexico and the USH market.
• Lead and work closely with the creative team of each coproduction partner or commissioning broadcaster in the development process and identify and package elements to assist in the sale of scripted series (ie - IP, principal cast, head writer, EP, director, art, etc).
• Manage process for the evaluation and development of ideas and concepts that have the potential to become successful projects, including existing Sony IP.
• Optimize the use of development funds to create a development slate that is relevant to commissioning broadcasters, anticipating trends in audiovisual content.
• 5% Facilitate dynamic creative interchange between divisions of company; including global scripted division and ProdCos in the Latam region.
• Work with business affairs to close option deals, development deals with writers, producers and networks.
• Provide input into annual budget and planning process.
• Conceptualize and oversee creation of pitch material.
• Lead weekly creative meetings with senior staff in Miami.
• A senior executive with a minimum of 10 years' experience as a Creative/Development at a production company or broadcaster developing original concepts as well as concepts pitched by outside writers/producers/ broadcasters, into quality, viable stories and scripts for commercial television production.
• An established base of existing creative relationships with broadcasters in major markets as well as relationships and credibility within the creative community (writers, directors, producers).
• A US Hispanic/LatAm or crossover developer who truly understands, navigates, and lives the culture and idiosyncrasies of the audience.
• Involvement in all aspects of content; concept creation, strategy development, team selection, airing initiatives, production support and budgetary knowledge.
• People management skills that can handle complex internal organizations with a mix of creative, analytical and show-biz personalities.
• A customer-focused content developer with a thorough understanding of Sony's multiple audience dynamics.
• Experience in structuring, scripting, and invigorating storylines. Someone with the enthusiasm and leadership qualities to inspire writers.
Experience: Minimum of 10 years' experience of entertainment experience is required
Bachelor's Degree is required
Master's Degree is preferred (concentration in Communications, Production, or Entertainment)
MEX - Mexico City
As part of SPT International Production's worldwide network of television production companies, SPT Production, Latin America & US Hispanic develops, produces and coproduces scripted and non-scripted, Spanish language programming for cable and broadcast clients in the US Hispanic and Latin American markets. With 3 offices serving the region in Mexico, Bogota and Miami, SPT offers a variety of flexible content and business models to its clients. SPT Production Latin America produces and coproduces scripted Spanish language programming for free TV networks in the region, pan-regional cable channels as well as OTT platforms.