Senior Art Director - Funimation
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Senior Art Director - Funimation
Senior Art Director, Digital, Creative Services
Funimation creates extraordinary anime experiences for millions of people around the world every day. For over 25 years, Funimation has been the market leader, serving a passionate fan community whenever and wherever they want it. We deliver the best that anime has to offer across television, feature films, events, retail, merchandise-and of course, the Funimation subscription app-available on 15 platforms in 47 countries. Our culture is and our approach is deeply customer-obsessed-with top talent from across the full spectrum of media, tech, gaming and entertainment. With over 400 employees in six countries, Funimation is rapidly expanding.
Funimation is a joint venture between US-based Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Japan's Aniplex, a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc. To learn more about Funimation, visit funimation.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
We are looking for an experienced and talented Art Director (a creative wizard) to join our in-house digital creative services squad. The ideal candidate is a master critical thinker, visionary creative strategist, collaborator extraordinaire (with a somewhat healthy obsession for comics, gaming, anime, and all things entertainment). They will join a vibrant and robust internal creative team supported by insight-driven strategists and data analysts. This role is ideal for someone looking for the best of both in-house and agency life.
As the right-hand person to the Director of Creative Services, this collaborative role will support in making recommendations and decisions concerning all creative. The role is based in either our Culver City, CA or Flower Mound, TX office.
The Senior Art Director will work hand-in-hand with the CD to elevate the brand vision, experience, and strategy for evolving Funimation. This role is driven by the desire to achieve creative excellence. They will bring experience and knowledge to the table with an emphasis on collaborating with leadership.
• Businesses (streaming, theatrical, home entertainment, e-commerce, gaming)
• Channels (digital, TV, experiential, social media, website and product)
• Goals (innovation, global brand awareness)
• Audiences (consumers, businesses, partners, employees)
This role will hit the ground running as we look to create consistent, ground-breaking, on-brand creative across an increasingly complex business that is growing faster than you can say ''WorldEnd: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?''
• Work closely with Creative Director to produce high-level creative solutions.
• Proactively work to solve problems and communicate solutions to senior management, and actively seek clarification when there is ambiguity.
• Creative advocate supporting the brand, community/social, and digital media marketing departments by creating, building and maintaining brand integrity for the Funimation brand and individual titles and franchises.
• Effectively communicate with key stakeholders internally in a spirit of collaboration, building strong relationships and clearly articulating complex issues and solutions.
• The ability to elevate department success while nurturing creative support. Align with creative management to monitor team efforts and provide feedback on performance.
• Support strategically-led creative thinking that demonstrates a solid understanding of current technology platforms.
• Possess and encourage high degrees of initiative, drive, energy, accountability, creativity and maturity.
• Lead the advance of creative excellence across various licensor brand standards which helps to improve those relationships while also advancing Funimation's own brand.
• Lead and drive adoption of relevant industry tools and technologies.
• 5+ years of creative leadership experience that encompasses marketing communications design and brand design, preferably with entertainment marketing experience
• portfolio featuring a wide range of creative and integrated campaigns, a diversity of ideas, and approaches to problem solving.
• Advanced working knowledge of digital production techniques and a variety of online and multimedia design tools.
• Proven ability to provide clear art direction and provide timely and helpful feedback to improve creative processes to keep projects on schedule
• A thorough understanding of mobile/digital and social communications and delivery systems, as well as industry best practices
• Expert knowledge of digital display layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography, color theory, motion graphics, marketing communications and social-first design
• Extensive experience with brand development and digital creative process within an exciting, fast-paced environment
• Experience with agile project management methodology and cross-discipline project teams
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate with cross-functional departments
• Familiarity with anime is strongly preferred but not required
• Familiarity with gaming is desired.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios, USA - Dallas - Funimation