Senior 3D Artist
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Senior 3D Artist
Sony Innovation Studios (SIS) is a division of Sony Pictures Entertainment and has been leading Sony's virtual production technology since it was launched in 2018. The state-of-the-art facility is housed in a sound stage at the center of the Sony Pictures Studios lot in Culver City, USA. The Sony Innovation Studios virtual production technology is based around Atom View, a revolutionary point-cloud rendering, editing, and coloring software solution. Atom View enables content creators to visualize, edit, color correct and combine multiple volumetric data captures from different position to produce final output for use in virtual film productions, video games, and interactive experiences with true photoreal quality. This advanced software engine is enabling the highest quality assets, with real-world photography capture, to be manipulated on LED walls in real-time for virtual production, giving filmmakers new tools and the flexibility to tell stories in new and revolutionary ways.
Within Sony Innovation Studios the Senior 3D Artist is responsible for delivering high-quality 3D content using a wide variety of skills and software (modeling, texturing, animation, motion graphics, compositing, particles, dynamics etc.).
The role will require a diverse skill-set in 3D art, a strong sense of design in several interactive mediums, an excellent eye for artistic quality, the ability to adhere to specific art directions and strong creative ideation skills.
• Collaborate with a tightly-integrated team to achieve high quality results within short delivery timeframes.
• Creation and delivery of high-quality 3D content using a wide variety of skills and software
• Working in collaboration with the development team to ensure results are delivered within the allocated timeframe
• Training and mentoring other 3D artists in SIS processes and tools
• BA degree in graphic design, 3D, video game development or equivalent working experience
• 5+ years VFX/games industry experience with industry 3D packages
• Expert knowledge in multiple content-creation applications like Maya, Modo, Substance Painter, Mari or others
• Experience creating high quality visuals for real-time, gaming and/or AR/VR experiences
• Experience with real-time asset creation in engines like UE4, Unity or similar
• Broad knowledge of 3D asset creation (modeling, texturing, materials, animation)
• Understanding of both real-time rendering in engines like UE4 or Unity and offline rendering in software like V-Ray or Arnold
• Willingness to learn and work with new 3D asset creation software and related workflows
• Experience collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams using task-management software (JIRA, Shotgun, etc.)
• Strong technical skills and problem-solving ability working with VFX artists and software developers
• Excellent organization and time management skills
• Excellent communication skills (both spoken and written)
• Experience with coaching, mentoring and training 3D artists
• Experience working on published AAA game or feature-film VFX a strong advantage
• Familiarity working with and processing raw LiDAR capture data
• Experience and familiarity with Maya in combination with V-Ray or Arnold rendering software
• Experience and familiarity with UE4 in all aspects (materials, lighting, Blueprints, Niagara etc.)
• Good familiarity with Nuke and advanced image-processing and editing techniques
• Experience using Modo a plus
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios