Sony PicturesLondon, UK
Full Time Job
Privacy Counsel, EMEA
The EMEA Privacy Counsel will be responsible for advising and overseeing SPE's overall EMEA Data Privacy Compliance Program. The responsibilities include providing advice and subject matter expertise on consumer and employee privacy data compliance for all business lines in EMEA and directly managing SPE's Employee Data Privacy Program implementation for EMEA.
This position requires experience working on a wide variety of EMEA data privacy and data security matters as well as the ability to support all aspects of the company's global privacy initiatives. Must partner with teams across the company to provide practical, business-focused legal advice and to support the accomplishment of business objectives in an ethical and compliant manner.
This position will be based in our London office and report to a US-based team.
Advises and Oversees SPE's EMEA Data Privacy Compliance Program
• Provide and coordinate legal advice regarding data privacy laws, regulations, requirements and trends (including GDPR and the U.K. Data Protection Act) applicable to the collection, use, transfer, and sharing of personal data.
• Create, develop, and enhance privacy compliance tools & processes.
• Provide legal advice to EMEA People & Organization, Legal, Procurement, IT, and Information Security Privacy teams on privacy matters, including in response to Data Subject Requests.
• Advise on data incident response issues, including breach notifications, remediation plans and communications with regulators.
• Provide recommendations regarding internal and external resources to support the privacy program.
• Liaise with Sony Corporation and its operating companies regarding EMEA privacy requirements and strategies.
• Monitor EMEA privacy developments and identify related best practices.
• Provide privacy support to Corporate & Distribution Legal team in all EMEA M&A activity, including privacy due diligence.
• Work collaboratively with Legal Compliance Privacy colleagues and cross-functional teams to develop EMEA privacy strategy proactively.
Facilitates SPE's Consumer Data Privacy Compliance Across Multiple Lines of Business
• Provide legal advice and support to a variety of SPE line of business attorneys and business leaders as they evaluate privacy implications of, and implement effective privacy solutions for, business activities involving the collection and use of consumer data in EMEA:
• Serve as a centralized resource for privacy developments related to digital marketing in the EU and UK;
• Conduct Legal Privacy Committee meetings and facilitate cross-business discussions;
• Provide a point of escalation for cross-business privacy needs and decision-making;
• Support the negotiation of privacy terms within complex agreements relating to digital advertising and consumer data transfers and use.
• Support integration of newly acquired entities with SPE's Data Privacy Program and assess impact on privacy compliance activities.
Manages SPE's Employee Data Privacy Program Implementation for EMEA
• Provide legal advice to SPE regarding compliance with EMEA employee data privacy legal requirements and SPE and Sony policies.
• Review, evaluate, and implement proposed privacy requirements for corporate initiatives and vendor agreements that involve the collection and use of employee data.
• Assist in the preparation of privacy impact assessments by analyzing their effect on the protection of personal data.
• Participate in negotiations with third party vendors regarding data privacy issues in a variety of commercial agreements affecting EMEA employee data.
• Structure and negotiate data use agreements and data transfer agreements to help ensure inclusion of appropriate data privacy protections.
• Consult and coordinate with outside counsel regarding local legal requirements, including regulatory filings for international data protection authorities and consultations with European Works Councils.
• Support integration of newly acquired entities with SPE's Data Privacy Program and assess impact on employee data.
Supports Legal Compliance team
• Support Legal Compliance group initiatives and projects as needed.
• Serve as EMEA Legal Compliance Privacy lead on all matters to drive compliance initiatives.
• Qualified as a lawyer in at least one UK/EU jurisdiction
• Typically 5-7 years of relevant law firm and/or in-house legal experience, including providing privacy advice for digital marketing activities.
• Certified Information Privacy Professional EU (CIPP/EU) preferred.
• Direct experience applying EU and UK privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines in a business context.
• Experience in the entertainment industry preferred.
• Experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements.
• Excellent written/verbal communication, presentation and negotiation skills.
• High proficiency with Microsoft Office software (including Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word).
• Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues at all levels of the company.
• Flexibility to manage multiple matters, and new areas of expertise as business needs change.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to identify prioritize and resolve issues quickly and effectively in a complex and creative environment.
• Be an innovative/creative problem solver who is able to find legal solutions to business issues.
• Be comfortable with a fair amount of ambiguity.
• High emotional intelligence, sound judgment, confidence, and the ability to act decisively.
• Maintain a positive attitude, sense of humor, and a commitment to professionalism.
* Sony Pictures - GBR - London