Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Payroll Analyst, New Media Features, Global Financial Operations
The Payroll Analyst is responsible for all aspects related to payroll processing and policies with respect to their assigned business unit(s). This position is the primary interface between the Payroll department and the user community. The position requires a deep understanding of Business Unit needs and direction. Works closely with business unit approvers, administrators, production accountants and users to proactively review payroll services and recommend modifications to the system(s) or processes which will enable the business unit to meet its objectives in a more timely, accurate and efficient manner. The position reports directly to the Payroll Director.
Overall customer service, exception handling and issue resolution.
• Coordinate with HR and Administrators to ensure new hire and termination data is accurately recorded in the Hours to Gross (HTG) system and CIPS.
• Advise HR and Administrators if a re-hire requires new W-4 and 1-9 documentation
• Follow-up with the individual completing the hire transaction or termination to obtain any missing or incomplete documentation.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with HR and assigned business unit administrators.
• Fully own and provide resolutions of payroll issues and provide resolutions to facilitate and improve processing of payments
• Use relationships to promote new Payroll opportunities and expanded services.
• Work closely with end-users to identify and establish requirements for payroll systems and processes.
• Provide internal training and communications to business units for current systems and any future system enhancements or process improvements
Generate system overrides and reporting.
• Follow-up on missing or incorrect timesheet records. Run and review Unauthorized Records report. Follow up with approvers and administrators who have not approved all timesheets in the Business Analyst's assigned user population.
• Flag unauthorized records as "Pass Through" to ensure employees are paid on-time. On a weekly basis run "Pass Through" and "In Dispute" records reports and conduct follow-up on "Pass Through" and "In Dispute" records with business unit timesheet approvers and administrators.
• Consult with time approvers and administrators to ensure timesheet entries trigger the desired pay rules.
• Receive requests for schedule overrides and enter schedule overrides in Workbrain.
• Update rates in the Occ_fable on an exception basis, as directed by Payroll Management
• Coordinate with System administration group to validate business needs for custom report requests and for security group change requests with the business units
Supervise payroll processing and provide analysis.
• Use discretion and independent judgment to resolve any payroll issues: Work directly with all parties to ensure a speedy resolution. Gather information and analyze discrepancies/disputes; develop and recommend solutions to management for further review
• Initiate regular meetings with business unit management and payroll clerks to discuss audit reports: Requires analysis and independent judgment to identify and explain system failures, formulate problem resolutions, and recommend process improvement; Responsible for running and analyzing multiple audit reports, and meeting with the business unit on issues such as
operating efficiencies, options to improve payroll services, etc.
• Audit and review payment requests, or other exception items for processing in Payroll systems: Requires detailed analysis, including review of all information for accuracy, to ensure that all policies and procedures are followed and maintained throughout the workflow process; Act as the gatekeeper/last approval point for policy compliance. Consult Payroll Manager and keep informed of the status of exception processing
• Use Workbrain reporting to proactively identify issues before they become problems; recommend corrective actions and work with business units to implement solutions
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
• 2+ year of payroll processing experience for exempt, nonexempt and Union employees
• Experience with Workday and Ultimate Software a plus
• Strong communication and organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure
• Adaptable to a fast changing work environment; able to deliver accurate and on-time payroll regardless of the circumstances
• Familiarity with pay rules, entitlements, and schedules to assign time codes and hour types to time entries.
• Legal and regulatory requirements regarding 1-9 and W-4 documentation
• Previous experience in the Entertainment Industry a plus (e.g. residuals/royalties, participation, production funding)
• Accuracy, discretion, excellent oral and written communication skills, and attention to detail a must
• Strong relationship-management skills
• Prioritize daily workflow to meet deadlines
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics
* Sony Pictures - CA - L.A. Corporate Pointe