Manager, Us Distribution Strategy & Planning
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Manager, US Distribution Strategy & Planning
The Distribution Strategy & Planning team seeks to maximize the contribution of SPE's features and TV series following their initial theatrical or first-run exhibition. This involves developing timely and analytically-informed lifecycle strategies encompassing all distribution windows, including sales of physical discs (DVD and Blu-Ray), digital transactions (EST and VOD), and exhibition rights to Television (Pay, Cable, SVOD, and AVOD) clients. The team works with cross-functional leadership to structure SPE's go-to-market approach and support licensing deals.
This includes: (1) setting windows, pricing, sales priorities, and performance goals, (2) developing product and segment strategy, (3) coordinating with Senior Management across Sales, Marketing, Finance, and Operations to ensure cross-functional alignment in decision-making and execution.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the business side of entertainment and seeks expertise in distribution. The candidate is an authority on the movies and television shows that drive commercial interest among today's consumers, and excels converting broad, ambiguous questions into structured, data-driven decisions. The candidate is comfortable owning his or her work independently and will engage cross-functionally as required to secure the best possible outcomes for SPE.
This position will report to the Executive Director and will be supported as needed by Senior Analysts in the below activities.
Develop product and segment strategies (40%):
• Develop licensing strategy and guidelines for the emerging aVOD marketplace
• Refine pricing strategy for TV distribution licensing
• Research market activity (competitive landscape and partner services) in support of broader departmental understanding and strategic decision-making
• Spearhead collection and analysis of consumer data to best understand and communicate the intrinsic value of SPE content
Structure go-to-market approach for both transactional and licensing opportunities (25%):
• Recommend markets and partners for deployment of SPE's content portfolio
• Design optimal windowing strategy across lines of business to maximize revenue opportunities and minimize cannibalization
• Work with sales teams to set terms and improve pricing
• Establish financial goals and evaluate SPE performance to recommend tactical changes for future releases
• Coordinate with Finance to greenlight releases and forecast updates throughout the year
Support licensing deals across all lines of business (20%)
• Analyze output deal scenarios in support of negotiations
• Lead post-mortems of existing deals in support of renewal discussions
Commercial Leadership planning and communication (15%):
• Develop materials to support communication of strategy and results to content owners and other key constituents
Support Team Leadership in managing and mentoring Analysts (NA%):
• Leverage support of analysts in performing research and building recommendations. Translate high level direction into individual tasks for analysts to perform, offering coaching to build knowledge and improve output
, Skills, and Abilities:
• Passionate about movies and television; conversant in current products and excited to watch, discuss, and research content
• Familiarity with entertainment business models and energized to develop further expertise
• Proven experience as a critical, structured thinker and problem solver
• Advanced excel skills and strong modeling abilities - able to derive actionable insights from data
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and pay close attention to detail, have excellent organizational skills, and commitment to deadlines
• The highest standard in influencing and interpersonal skills in order to build and develop strong stakeholder relationships
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels of management. PowerPoint proficiency
• Self-motivated and dedicated to performing above expectations
• MBA preferred
• 4+ years working experience in an analytical or deal-oriented role
• Entertainment experience helpful but not required. The best candidate would likely have experience in consulting, marketing, business development, or strategy
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
USA - Culver City - Akio Morita Building