Manager, Technical Accounting
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Manager, Technical Accounting
The Manager position will report to the Executive Director and be responsible for assisting on providing technical accounting support on revenue recognition, implementation of new accounting standards, accounting research, internal controls development and analysis, review of management reports and submissions to SCA and Sony Group. The Manager will need to develop and maintain a detailed knowledge of company-wide operations that will enable transitioning to key positions in other finance areas or business units when, and if, necessary.
In addition, the Manager will work closely with the Senior Vice President on special projects design to add value to the operations of the finance group and the overall business.
• Act as the primary technical accounting resource for revenue recognition for SPE by researching, resolving and documenting accounting issues
• Draft accounting memos in support of IFRS accounting positions, primarily related to revenue recognition and disclosures for management and audit review/approval.
• Collaborate with lines of business subject matter experts to understand each LOBs current accounting practices and develop future state practices that align with IFRS technical accounting positions drafted in the accounting memos.
• Support senior team members in accounting research, modelling and contract reviews.
• Provide technical accounting guidance in negotiating and structuring deals
• Collaborate with sales, operations legal and finance teams to review and evaluate the impact of draft contracts for revenue recognition
• Support the budget and forecast process
• Manage the process of maintaining and updating SPE's revenue recognition policies and procedures
• Participate in developing and maintaining strong internal controls, ensuring quality controls over revenue transactions and reporting, including disclosures
• Continuously improve on current processes to drive a more efficient monthly and quarterly financial statement close
• Provide ongoing training and support to the business units
• Other special projects as necessary
• Minimum of 4+ years accounting and finance experience
• Experience with a Big 4 or other national accounting firms
• BA or BS degree in finance/economics/accounting
• CPA or equivalent
• Strong foundation in US GAAP or IFRS (previous experience in IFRS is not mandatory to apply for this position)
• Strong technical accounting background
• Able to take the lead in drafting new technical accounting memos and assessments as needed
• Excellent analytical and communication skills, both oral and written
• Strong organizational skills to balance priorities, complete projects in a timely manner and consistently manage own workload
• Comfortable in reviewing complex contracts or other documents, working with cross functional internal and external teams
• Detail-oriented self-starter with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines
• Able to communicate highly technical perspectives to individuals with varying degrees of accounting experience ranging from sales personnel and certain other customer-facing individuals, other finance personnel, and management-level individuals
• Strong MS Suite and analytical skills
• Self-motivated team player
• Media and Entertainment experience
• Experience in the application of IFRS15/ASC606 and working knowledge of all other current authoritative literature related to revenue recognition
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios