Manager, Business Affairs Administration- International Production
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Manager, Business Affairs Administration- International Production (TV)
Manager, Business Affairs Administration- International Production (TV)
This position is based in Los Angeles and is part of SPT's LA-based production business affairs team, providing business affairs admin and finance support for the global SPT International Production group, including administration and tracking of business affairs and finance matters. This position will report to the Vice President of business affairs in Los Angeles.
Manage all payments for above-the-line talent (writers, directors), consultants and rights acquisitions/licensing, both domestically and internationally
• Manage and create payment schedules of the compensation process for highly confidential and negotiated above-the-line talent deals, overall term deals, pilots and series.
• Analyze and interpret contract language generated from Business Affairs and determine what method of payment should be initiated (taxable compensation, guild related or loan-out, etc.)
• Collect all required documents and collect invoices on required third party payments (option fees, rights fees, format fees to third-party rights holders)
• Track drafting of agreements to know when documents are fully executed and payments tied to signature of agreements are due
• Collect all pertinent contractual and payroll documentation and ensure the proper version of the contract is being utilized.
• Set up Vendors/talent in payroll system and input payment requests/track payments in approval process to ensure timely payments
• Keep track of where the payment requests are in the signature process to ensure payments are made and do not incur penalties from unions.
• Manage the disbursement and tracking of the talent checks and rights payments.
• Fielding phone calls, emails and answering questions from the talent, representatives, production finance/executives on status of payments and layout of the payment schedules
Process all required production financing payments/invoices to SPTIP Production Companies/3rd Party Production companies/licensees
• Collect all required documents and Set up vendors in system, track approvals to ensure timely set up
• Set up Opcos/Minority investment distribution advances in system, track approval chain to ensure timely payment
• Set up and track third party production funding payments in accordance with PSAs/coordinate with local finance teams on production funding
Coordinate the participation statement process including preparation, reporting and payments for talent, prodcos, and third parties
• Track required statements and collection of documents/information
• Prepare/Manage list of required statements for SPTIP productions, including participant, reporting obligations and tracking timing of payments
• Work closely with Participations Department by providing information for statements including providing complete document set (e.g. production budgets/costs and contracts) in timely manner to ensure efficiency.
• Notify LA Based Participations Department of statements to be prepared to ensure that participations/statement are timely distributed
• Ensuring all documents are filed and retained for participations process
• Track all Development spend/recoupment to ensure properly accounted for in statements
• Help resolve issues of coding of distribution costs (principally), residuals and other areas of SPTIP to ensure accurate reflection on statements
• Review and manage the distribution of participation statements/payments
• Perform preliminary review/approval of participation statements with Participations Department (prior to BA and Finance sign off)
• Ensuring complete cost accounting/reporting on statements
• Ensure consistency of reporting of receipts/costs across statements
• Manage communication to participants of timing/delivery of statements and corresponding payments (if applicable) including fielding of call/emails/request from the participants, representatives, and/or production finance/executive.
• Organizing/Filing of finalized statements/receiving copies of cover letters and payments administered from Participations Department
• Provide copies/summarize information in previous statement to BA/Finance teams as requested
Administration of union payments/obligations
• Manage all royalty, residuals talent accounting for SPTIP production companies
• Coordination the collection of all relevant documents from the production companies and provide to the Residuals department
• Help identify and track all required residual buyouts for US and UK guilds (equity)
• Submitting Residual Notification letter to the residuals department for WGA payments
• Submitting documentation to WGA (e.g. Notice of Tentative Writing Credits & weekly work lists)
• Approve credits for new productions for compliance of guild and contractual obligations
Provide back-up support to Sr. Manager BA
• Assist with data entry into rights management system under the guidance of the Sr. Manager, as needed
• Manage options calendar, including reviewing documents for pertinent dates, entering dates into system, sending reminders, and following up with interested persons
• Update license period extensions in Sony's rights management system.
• Prepare sales history reports as requested
• Respond to unsolicited submissions
Manage due diligence/compliance reporting obligations
• Work with local production/sales teams to collect required information and provide completed forms to Studio compliance department
Knowledge: (a) excellent knowledge of entertainment industry practices including Business affairs and finance (b) excellent knowledge of both domestic and foreign guilds (c) working knowledge of production, merchandising, publishing, music issues, multiple forms of distribution (e.g., cable, satellite, VOD, PPV, Free TV, DTV, mobile, etc.); (d) working knowledge of distribution costs and expenses and (e) experience working in a multinational company and coordinating projects with multiple divisions is very helpful
Ability To: (a) work in fast-paced environment with a quickly evolving landscape; (b) progressively grow and take on new responsibilities; (c) be exceedingly well organized with strong attention to detail and great follow-through; (d) independently establish office procedures, identify problems and be resourceful to resolve them independently and on own initiative; (e) prioritize work effectively to optimize results, work effectively under pressure and work as a team with business affairs and supervisors (f) handle multiple tasks frequently with short time-lines, prioritize and organize work and to complete assignments in a timely and accurate manner; (g) work effectively and cooperatively across the organization at all levels of professional, technical and administrative staff using highly developed interpersonal skills; and (h) use discretion in handling sensitive/confidential information.
• Minimum 4+ years of experience in Business Affairs Administration or Contract Administration
• Excellent understanding of contract language, structure and interpretation
• Excellent understanding of studio finance including cost coding, payment and reporting
• Strong client service skills Strong organizational and follow-through skills
• Strong oral and written communication skills; professional business demeanor.
• Strong in