Legal Analyst, Rights & Title
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Legal Analyst, Rights & Title
The Intellectual Property team's TRA©K-IP Group is hiring a Legal Analyst who will be responsible for rights analysis of numerous types of entertainment agreements, including acquisition, co-financing, co-production, multi-picture, and talent agreements. The Analyst also will be responsible for researching, entering, updating and managing data in various systems used by the department.
The TRA©K-IP Group serves clients across SPE's divisions around the world, including: motion picture and television production and acquisitions; local language productions and acquisitions; and the domestic and international sales/distribution groups.
• Review, analyze, and prepare summaries of numerous types of entertainment agreements, including literary rights acquisition, co-production, finance, distribution, network license, digital rights, and talent agreements.
• Determine the relevant distribution rights and restrictions for assigned projects (e.g., media, term, territory, appropriate events triggers, holdbacks and windows, dubbing, cut and edit restrictions). Clarify rights with attorneys when necessary. Answer queries from sales groups about distribution rights and restrictions. Enter and/or update distribution rights / restrictions in company's rights database in a timely manner.
• Determine the company's promotional, ancillary, and derivative rights and restrictions in new motion pictures and/or television productions and library properties upon request. Prepare summaries documenting analyses and conclusions and maintain data in various databases as needed.
• Learn business practices and legal issues relevant to assigned client group(s) and proactively communicate with clients and supervisors to resolve questions as appropriate.
• BA/BS or equivalent experience
• Paralegal certificate a plus
• Experience with entertainment industry contracts preferred, including experience evaluating chain of title, distribution rights, and talent rights and restrictions
• Ability to analyze, interpret and summarize complex contract language and communicate complex issues to business, legal, and creative executives in a succinct and clear manner.
• Excellent analytical and issue-spotting skills
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to pay attention to detail
• Excellent judgment and common sense
• Strong organizational skills, ability to manage project flow and work processes, and attendant follow-up and follow through.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cohesively in a collaborative environment.
• Ability to work independently, prioritize work, and meet deadlines
• Ability to be flexible and work well in a fast-paced environment where priorities are subject to revision based on business needs.
• Skill in the use of various databases for research, data entry and data management.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios