Executive Director, Production Accounting
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Executive Director, Production Accounting
The successful applicant will be responsible for financial controllership and providing high-level industry support of original content production, along with broader content creation through development of our financial accounting and reporting process for original owned productions. This role will have a high degree of interaction with the company's finance leadership, production and executive teams. The candidate must be hands-on, entrepreneurial, passionate about content and physical production, quick-thinking, elastic, able to pivot when necessary, systematic, non-political, has impeccable ethics, and is able to juggle multiple and diverse projects with a strong emphasis on organization and an unwavering attention to detail. The candidate will execute on a vision to develop a world class production finance operations team, comprising of its people, systems and policies.
This individual should demonstrate a high aptitude for critical thinking and analysis, tax credit, financial systems and labor/union foundational knowledge. You will be a part of a dynamic and creative SPT Production Finance team working directly with our production business units. The successful candidate will be a strategic partner to management teams enterprise wide. He/she should be extremely comfortable counseling business partners and influencing them towards decisions that have a valued business impact.
• Effectively manage the financial operations and cost reporting for assigned productions.
• Hire and Manage production accountants and assistants, coordinate show budgeting and production accounting process with accountants.
• Manage the set-up of show accounting system using appropriate payroll software.
• Implement uniform reporting requirements, standard accounting procedures, oversee daily/weekly show cost reporting.
• Coordinate and implement tax, labor and sourcing policies and objectives.
• Manage production cash flow and support the weekly and quarterly corporate financial accounting and corporate cash management processes.
• Implement and ensure uniform budget policies.
• Key financial management liaison between production executives, show accountants, show producer/UPM, and corporate finance.
• Ensure that the SPT financial controllership and production policies and procedures are uniformly implemented operationally and that payroll/AP/Reporting are in accordance with standards established by SPT.
• Liaise with Labor Relations, Production Finance, Internal Audit, Finance Ops, Treasury, and IT to ensure policies are current and effectively implemented.
• Identify problem and/or issues as quickly as possible including breakdown in communication between departments, UPMs, producers and accountants. Furthermore, inform Labor Relations of payroll issues with potential exposure to penalties.
• Approve and authorize various accounting procedures.
• Assist in the training and mentoring of production finance manager and other staff members with the goal of developing stellar talent.
• Candidate will consult on deal structure for contracts.
• Travel to production locations to perform on-site compliance reviews, organizational abilities and effectiveness of accounting staff.
• Maintain knowledge of current industry trends pertaining to union MOA updates, rate increases and compliance issues.
• Intermediate/Advanced experience with Excel and other Microsoft / Apple products.
• Intermediate/Advanced knowledge of Vista, Smart Accounting, PSL and related production accounting applications.
• SAP experience preferred but not required.
• Education: BA/BS degree; MBA, CPA, JD or equivalent graduate degree preferred.
• Candidate must have 7+ years of film and/or television industry production accounting experience
• Willingness to travel (domestic and international) and work extended hours if needed.
• Must be willing to submit to background check.
• Must have work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must be 18 years or older.
• Must be willing to work in Culver City, CA.
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV online to be considered.
• Excellent communication skills, written / verbal, and ability to interact with employees at all levels, including upper management.
• Passionate about original programming with a keen interest in building and refining new business models.
• Robust understanding of payroll process, union labor agreements and tax requirements.
• Proven ability to lead and manage teams of 5+ employees.
• Candidates are required to be highly analytical, as well as strong effective communicators.
• High aptitude and enthusiasm for complex problem solving and analysis utilizing financial applications, including great Excel skills.
• He/she must thrive in a fast-paced environment, possess a high level of academic curiosity, focus on generating results and exhibit the highest personal and professional standards of integrity and ethics.
The anticipated base salary for this position is $159,300 – $213,000. This role may also qualify for annual incentive and/or comprehensive benefits. The actual base salary offered will depend on a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and if applicable, the location of the position.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios