Executive Director, Business Affairs
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Executive Director, Business Affairs
Title: Executive Director, Business Affairs
Dual Report to: SVP Business Affairs, Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions
EVP Business Affairs, Screen Gems
Sony Pictures Entertainment is a leading creator and distributor of entertainment products, services and technology. Our global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution, television production, programming and syndication, home video acquisitions and distribution, operation of studio facilities, development of new entertainment technologies and distribution of filmed entertainment in over 70 countries.
Sony Pictures Entertainment is looking for an Executive Director of Business Affairs to join the Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions (SPWA) and Screen Gems team; the role will split their time between the two divisions. SPWA is the specialty acquisition and production division at Sony Pictures Entertainment, which was created to acquire and/or finance & produce primarily independently produced, moderately budgeted films that are marketed to targeted audiences. Recent films include GREYHOUND, the INSIDIOUS franchise, DON'T BREATHE and the upcoming DON'T BREATHE 2, and SEARCHING and the upcoming SEARCHING 2. Screen Gems is a development and production division that focuses on commercial films from a broad spectrum of genres (from THE RESIDENT EVIL and UNDERWORLD franchises to THE INTRUDER and BLACK and BLUE, to EASY A and FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS).
The position will focus primarily on transactions to acquire and produce motion pictures for SPWA, and develop and produce motion pictures for Screen Gems. This business affairs ED will work closely with senior business, finance and production executives worldwide to structure, negotiate, and administer production, co-production, finance and license agreements for motion pictures.
• Negotiate agreements for all facets of motion picture acquisition, production, co-production distribution and development, including license agreements, above-the-line agreements, option and literary purchase agreements, production services agreements, contingent compensation definitions, and distribution license agreements.
• Provide counsel to creative and business development executives regarding terms of agreements, including intellectual property rights, guild issues, and matters relating to multiplatform exploitation of content. Advise finance and marketing teams regarding talent and brand approvals, product placement and other license requirements.
• Work closely with creative production, physical production, labor, post production, marketing, home entertainment, merchandising & music to facilitate production and distribution of films.
• Structure joint venture, co-production, output and co-venture agreements as appropriate.
• Supervise in-house and outside counsel, paralegal and clerical support in the performance of business-related tasks.
• Work closely with business development and finance to prepare financial models for films.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Juris Doctorate (JD) from an accredited institution.
• 6-8 years of experience in entertainment law (transactional) and preferably with motion picture acquisition, production, finance and experience.
• Some level of experience with international markets and practical knowledge of the industry (including production and licensing) is required.
• Familiarity with collective bargaining agreements, particularly WGA, DGA, and SAG/AFTRA
• Excellent organizational, prioritization, and time management skills with the ability to execute multiple, high priority projects simultaneously.
• Effectively manage relationships with external producers, agents, and creative partners.
• Keen attention to detail, strong work ethic, and a creative but practical approach to problem-solving.
• Must have excellent negotiating skills.
• Knowledge of interactive software market/entertainment industry required.
• Must be computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Word.
• Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) as well as proven ability to work with creative and corporate personnel.
* Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios