Director, Theatrical Marketing
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Director, Theatrical Marketing - Funimation
The Director of Theatrical Marketing is responsible for the development and management of Funimation theatrical goals and objectives. The Director is responsible for delivering on box office revenue goals, increasing revenue by screen performance for Funimation's theatrical releases and driving omnichannel presence and conversion for Funimation by developing data-driven and innovative marketing programs. The Director of Theatrical Marketing reports into the Senior Director of Commerce Marketing.
• Responsible for developing and implementing the Theatrical Channel marketing plan to grow box office revenue and to increase revenue by screen.
• Develops and manages the Theatrical Channel P & L to achieve business objectives/KPIs, in collaboration with the Senior Director.
• Monitors, analyzes, and evaluates past performance, market trends (including competitive release dates, box office comp titles) and competitor activity to identify market opportunities and generate best in class programs.
• Responsible for establishing release dates, distribution strategy (markets and number of screens) in close collaboration with the Theatrical Distribution and Brand Teams.
• Incorporates Funimation omnichannel presence in all theatrical releases to drive conversion and subscribers for SVOD channel and Funimation 1P e-commerce.
• Owns milestones, communications and the Theatrical Channel marketing budget.
• Closely aligns with Brand Marketing to understand title specific consumer insights and strategies.
• Creates and manages the Theatrical Roll Out plans that adhere to brand positioning using best practices for theatrical marketing plus innovative thinking for anime fandom.
• Oversees and reports on national theatrical activities and promotions.
• Closely collaborates with the Brand Team and shared channel teams to ideate opportunities and execute successful campaigns.
• Owns communication of title performance and marketing results to internal stakeholders and Senior Leadership Team.
• Works with Sony counterparts and Funimation's data / research firm (AQ) to gather data and develop actionable insights.
• Shares marketing ideas with channel teams (SVOD, Home Entertainment New Release, Home Entertainment Catalog, SHOP), Growth Team, Brand Marketing and Shared Services Teams to maximize broader opportunities throughout the company.
• Closely collaborates with Brand Marketing for licensor input and approvals.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Consumer Orientation - Able to think consumer-first, distill insights and drive relevant strategies that drive consumer engagement and Funimation sales.
• Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Uses practical experience to complement data.
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
• Product Marketing - Proven ability to successfully launch new releases and think through a lifecycle management lens.
• Significant leadership skills and collaboration – Able to influence others, drive consistent execution, effectively build high-performing teams, effectively address challenges and lead a team to solutions.
• Business Acumen – Agile decision-making, ability to formulate a strong POV and adjust plans strategically in a changing environment.
• High Initiative- Able to create and drive plans independently.
• Bachelor's degree required
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant marketing experience in a fast-paced, consumer-driven company.
• Proven ability to build marketing plans that deliver on overarching strategies (long and short-term).
• Experience securing and executing consumer promotions.
• Consumer and Business Analytics.
• Budgeting, P & L Ownership.
• Internal and External client partnership-building.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, to include: Power Point, Keynote, and verbal).
• Previous experience in entertainment, theatrical distribution, anime or media is a plus.
• Proficiency in Japanese is a bonus.
• Current anime fan or desire to deeply understand anime and the anime fan.
• Microsoft Office (Outlook, PowerPoint & Excel).
Funimation offers competitive compensation along with a comprehensive benefits package to include health, dental, vision, life, short & long-term disability, 401(k) with a generous company match, ongoing employee development.
Funimation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
*Funimation Global Group is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios
Funimation creates extraordinary anime experiences for tens of millions of people around the world every day. For over 25 years, Funimation has been the market leader, serving a passionate fan community whenever, and wherever they want it. We deliver the best that anime has to offer across television, feature films, events, retail, merchandise and, of course, the Funimation subscription apps, which are available on 15 platforms in 47 countries. Our culture is high-energy and our approach is deeply customer-obsessed, with top talent from across the full spectrum of media, tech, gaming and entertainment. With over 400 employees in 6 countries, Funimation is rapidly expanding and looking for passionate, innovative leaders to join our team.