Director, Sales Planning & Operations
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Director, Sales Planning & Operations
The Global Distribution group is a multi-billion-dollar division within Sony Pictures Entertainment focused on licensing features, series and formats to linear and digital platforms worldwide. The role will work with 200 Sales and Sales Planners around the world.
The Director of Sales Planning will play key role in ensuring revenue processes are SOX compliant, product assumptions are determined (for accurate revenue forecasting in the regions), and that license fees are allocated fairly across titles. The candidate must have prior experience in TV Distribution Finance or IT, a deep understanding of TV revenue accounting rules and a strong understanding of TV licensing contracts (including rights and pricing). The role requires a hands on, detail-oriented individual who is financially & technically savvy and proficient in excel. The areas of responsibility include the following:
Revenue Recognition – The studio has adopted new revenue recognition rules (ASC 606) resulting in new system rules, processes and SOX requirements. The Director will be responsible for monitoring and improving Sales Planning processes for this area.
• Internal controls: Conduct regular audits of high value deals to ensure adequate controls are in place prior for deal approvals. Escalate/communicate issues to regions; evaluate the processes and controls and recommend changes as required.
• SOX Audits: Serve as home office lead with accounting auditors required for yearly SOX walkthroughs; work with regions to prepare and compile compliance audit data; track and respond to external auditor inquiries in a timely manner.
• SME: Serve as the home office subject matter expert on revenue recognition questions.
Budget Assumptions - For accurate sales/revenue forecasts, the regions are 100% dependent on accurate and timely setup of series and feature product assumptions; the assumptions directly impact revenue forecasts. A key responsibility of this role is to stay on top of these assumption as they change and to ensure absolute accuracy during the four critical budget cycles in the year.
• Engage with Finance, Product Strategy/Product Owners to understand new product features/series assumptions.
• Provide required inputs to upstream product/rights system owners for updates into their respective systems. Set-up remaining assumptions in SPT's distribution systems.
• For each budget cycle, prepare variance reports highlighting assumption changes.
• Disseminate product assumptions to Sales Planners and field questions.
• Serve as the home office lead on communications to Sales Planning on budgeting/ forecasting questions.
• Ensure product information is updated as assumptions change throughout the year.
• Evaluate the efficiency of process and systems in supporting budgets and identify opportunities for improvement.
Allocations - Fair allocation of license fees across titles is a key requirement for how participants are paid. Most deals require allocation of fees; regional planners will submit the required deal details to home office for allocation of fees.
• DEAL SUPPORT: Determine proper allocation of license fees to each title based on contract terms or market value. Year-end volumes will require commitment and quick turnaround.
PROCESS IMPROVEMENTS: Work with IT to streamline the allocation process. Evaluate changes in market factors, adjust allocation methods and determine impacts to ultimates/film models. HOW FAR HAVE WE COME ON AUTOMATION OF ALLOCATIONS?
• PARTICIPANT AUDITS: Coordinate with the regions to address questions related to participant audits.
Education & Experience:
• Minimum of 7-10 year's work experience; prior experience in TV Distribution required, international experience a plus.
• Bachelor's degree required, MBA a plus
• Strong analytical skills.
• Hands on and an obsessive attention to detail.
• Comfortable using and proposing technology to improve processes.
• Solution-oriented and ability to propose creative solutions to problems.
• Anticipate business trends and solve problems creatively.
• Strong initiative to improve processes.
• Flexibility, ability to work under changing priorities/and or tight timelines.
• Ability to prioritize multiple important projects and work with minimal supervision.
• Proficient at establishing relationships with cross-functional peers.
• Influential with the ability to effectively communicate and present ideas.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proactive, positive team-player.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
USA - Culver City - Studio Lot - Jack Cohn Bldg