Director, Legal Affairs
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
This was removed by the employer on 10/24/2022 8:52:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Executive Positions Category
Browse the Legal and Business Affairs Category
Browse the Studio Category
Search for Director, Legal Affairs jobs in Culver City-CA
Search all Director, Legal Affairs postings
Full Time Job
Director, Legal Affairs
The Legal Counsel will support Silvergate's Creative and Production teams located in New York and LA. The position requires an individual who is detail oriented, has exceptional drafting, negotiating and analytical skills. The appropriate candidate must be able to possess the interpersonal skills to engage successfully with all levels of the organization. Must have ability to work cross functionally with all lines of business is essential for this role.
• Structure, draft, review and negotiate a variety of development and production agreements, including producer, writer, production services, music, and talent agreements.
• Draft, update, and manage templates for development and production agreements.
• Review and negotiate NDAs, submission agreements, permissions, and content usage agreements.
• Review content to advise on levels of risk related to copyright, trademark, defamation, invasion of privacy, violation of publicity rights, and other potential legal claims and run title clearances as needed.
• Review and negotiate clip and media licenses.
• Advise creative and production teams on rights and respond to content usage requests.
• Review credits and advise on credit obligations.
• Advise on union and collective bargaining issues.
• Track option expirations and other contractual deadlines.
• Structure, draft, review and negotiate non-production service agreements for commissioning of pitch materials and marketing and promotional efforts.
• Support other team lawyers on overspill projects.
• Liaise with broadcast/streaming partner attorneys and talent agents.
• Review chain of title documents, prepare chain of title documentation, and opine on rights issues.
• Secure copyright registrations on audiovisual works.
• Advise on copyright notices and legal lines.
• Provide full legal support to development and production teams.
• 2-3 years of legal experience in law firm and/or in-house legal experience with production experience a must
• Law degree, admitted to practice in the State of California
• Knowledge of contract law and legal issues specific to entertainment law (production and intellectual property issues)
• Strong preference for union experience
• Must have excellent negotiating and drafting skills
• Ability to review and analyze agreements and to spot legal issues
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively, learn and understand Company policies and parameters and exercise judgment based on experience.
• Familiarity with intellectual property law (copyright and trademark).
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios