Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
In the role of Data Scientist for Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, you must possess a passion for pioneering an empirical and data-driven culture. The candidate must have a proven track record of extracting meaningful business insights from data. Reporting to SVP, Analytics & Business Insights, this role will provide guidance for Home Entertainment in data-driven decision making and use analytics to drive the growth and success of the business. Position based in Culver City.
• Execute the data vision strategy and goals ensuring those are consistent with the Division's business requirements.
• Managing the ingestion and cleansing of large data sets (big data) and developing an analytical capability to query the data and respond to user requests.
• Provide thought leadership to the business and key stakeholders.
• Using big data to independently generate consumer insights and manage genre based price elasticity curves and other routine analyses like affinity analysis and clusters.
• Develop new approaches to understand the consumer and solve complex business problems such as optimizing product performance, gross profit and adoption.
• Research new ways for modeling and predicting end-user behavior. Designs experiments to answer targeted questions
• Generate actionable insights using advanced statistical techniques such as predictive statistical models, customer profiling, segmentation analysis, survey design and analysis and data mining.
• Communicate statistical modeling results into measures of business impact
• Comfort with managing ingestion and cleansing of large unstructured data and developing analytical capability to query the data and respond to user requests using a wide range of technologies.
• Comfort with experimenting with various tools and technologies with the end goal of creating innovative data driven insights at a quick pace.
• Understand in depth, design and inform statistically valid tests with test and control groups and to manage the process of identifying testing strategies
• Comfort using extensive and often disjointed and unstructured data sets to independently generate consumer insights with the intent of creating manageable analytical processes
• Experience with A/B testing and test and control test designs
• Must have an in depth knowledge of statistical techniques including regressions, cluster analysis test design, non-parametric tests and forecasting methodologies.
• Must have experience with big data and standardizing/ appending variables across disparate data sets
• Must have a working knowledge of external data sources especially as related to the consumer.
• Highly analytical, results oriented, have superior organizational skills with a strong attention to details and deadlines and be able to effectively manage multiple projects/assignments simultaneously.
• Intrinsic ability to look at data and identify patterns, problems, or analysis opportunities
• BA/BS degree required with technical focus (e.g. mathematics, computer science, physics)
• MS or PhD degree preferred
• Minimum of 5 years of progressively complex related experience
• Experience with R and SQL and preferably a scripting language (Perl, Python)
• Comfortably interact with various members of the organization
• Business experience in media industry preferred, but not required
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
USA - Culver City - Akio Morita Building