Creative Director, Copy - Creative Services
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Creative Director, Copy - Creative Services
Funimation creates extraordinary anime experiences for tens of millions of people around the world every day. For over 25 years, Funimation has been the market leader, serving a passionate fan community whenever, and wherever they want it. We deliver the best that anime has to offer across television, feature films, events, retail, merchandise and, of course, the Funimation subscription app,
which is available on 15 platforms in 47 countries. Our culture is high-energy and our approach is deeply customer-obsessed, with top talent from across the full spectrum of media, tech, gaming and entertainment. With over 400 employees in 6 countries, Funimation is rapidly expanding. Funimation is an independently-operated joint venture between US-based Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Japan's Aniplex, a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc. To learn more about Funimation, visit funimation.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
We are looking for a seasoned Creative Director, Copy to join our in-house creative services group. The ideal candidate has a conceptual mind, strong writing ability and an obsession with pop, gaming and anime culture. He/she will join a vibrant and robust internal creative team supported by insights-driven strategists and data analysts -- and is ideal for someone looking for the best of both in-house and agency life. This is a high-visibility role reporting to the VP of Creative with a dotted line to the VP of Marketing Strategy. The role is based in our Culver City office, with regular travel to Dallas and other locations.
The Creative Director, Copy will lead a team of writers to evolve the Funimation brand voice, support the development of an effective brand architecture and be a key contributor to a comprehensive brand book. This role will be the chief voice steward, training teams and evangelizing key tenets of the voice for implementation across multiple:
• Businesses (streaming, theatrical, home entertainment, e-commerce, gaming)
• Channels (digital, TV, experiential, social media, collectibles, packaging, website and product.)
• Goals (awareness, direct response)
• Audiences (consumers, businesses, partners, employees)
This role will be the go-to person as we look to create consistent, entertaining, on-brand copy across an increasingly complex business growing at a rapid clip.
• Own brand voice, brand guidelines and work on other brand strategy assignments
• Lead trainings and frequent creative reviews to ensure adoption of voice principles around the globe
• Serve as senior most authority on the brand voice and consult with senior executives and key marketing stakeholders as needed
• Conceptualize and develop brand copy for a variety of needs across multiple organizational priorities
• Amend, revise or redevelop campaigns in response to feedback
• Comprehend the overall strategy of a campaign, understand goals and objectives along with providing strategic input
• Articulate creative vision at many different levels-whether in a deep dive with a brand manager or at a strategic level with executives from various departments
• Maintain an efficient workflow and process and promptly communicate any issues to management
• Accurately document work related information via project management tool(s), etc. Manage assets and archive projects accordingly
• Write clear, persuasive, original copy
• Manage a team of 2-3 writers; provide critical, inspiring and thoughtful feedback
• Coaching and mentorship to direct teams but also to other writers in the department (or organization)
• Coordinating cross-cultural copywriting with territories
• Bachelor's degree in English, Communications, Marketing or related field
• 10+ years in experience in writing for marketing teams, including experience with brand marketing, short-form content and scriptwriting, direct response advertising, and social media; combination of in-house and agency experience preferred
• Portfolio of inspiring work showcasing integrated campaigns for well-known brands
• Extensive knowledge of the brand creative industry and the freelance copywriting community with the ability to quickly recruit talent as needed
• Must be able to multitask and work well under pressure while dealing with scheduling deadlines
• Detail-oriented and an excellent problem-solver. Self-starter who can multi-task and juggle many simultaneous priorities
• Ability to translate brand copy across all devices–desktop, tablet, TV, mobile
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Understand the entertainment landscape and its copy requirements
• Digital native with insatiable curiosity for latest social media and digital trends
• Familiarity with anime is strongly preferred but not required
• Familiarity with gaming is desired.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios