Chief Financial Officer - Funimation
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Chief Financial Officer (CFO) - Funimation
Chief Financial Officer (CFO) - Funimation
Funimation creates extraordinary anime experiences for tens of millions of people around
the world every day. For over 25 years, Funimation has been the market leader,
serving a passionate fan community whenever, and wherever they want it. We
deliver the best that anime has to offer across television, feature films,
events, retail, merchandise and, of course, the Funimation subscription apps,
which are available on 15 platforms in 47 countries. Our culture is
high-energy and our approach is deeply customer-obsessed, with top talent from
across the full spectrum of media, tech, gaming and entertainment. With over 400 employees in 6 countries, Funimation is rapidly expanding.
Funimation is an independently-operated joint venture between US-based Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Japan's Aniplex, a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc. To learn more about Funimation, visit funimation.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Funimation is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to oversee a dynamic finance organization in a high-growth environment: accounting, analysis (including forecasting, financial modeling, long-range planning and dashboard reporting) as well as managing local accounting offices for month end close, royalty statement issuance, financial and management reporting.
We're looking for a proven leader with both strategic and operating strength, who will take charge, execute the day to day functions and build best in class finance. The ideal candidate is a builder, an operator, and a strategic partner to company leadership, and must be willing to be both hands-on and also to delegate across a global team, putting people, processes, systems, controls, and reporting in place to support our extreme growth. The CFO must be a strong, collaborative player, able to maintain collaborative and effective relationships with Funimations' shareholders and corporate finance teams. This position will join the Funimation senior management team.
Strategy, Planning and Management
• Serve as senior financial leadership for Funimation Global Group
• Act as key liaison and collaboration person for Sony Pictures, and Sony Corporate finance teams
• Assess and evaluate financial performance of organization with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts, collaborating with senior management to set KPIs, identify opportunities, and mitigate risk.
• Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plan of organization
• Evaluate finance group departments and make changes using the existing resources as well as providing solutions to automate processes and increase working efficiency
• When necessary, identify, acquire and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information
• Communicate, engage and interact with Executive Leadership Team, Home Office and all other stakeholders including board directors
• Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the company's plan for growth and expansion
• Recruit, interview and hire finance and accounting staff as required.
• Serve as a key member of executive leadership team and round table discussion panel
• Participate in pivotal decisions as they relate to strategic initiatives and operational models
• Play key role in developing the company's corporate structure related to acquisition, global expansion, and growth
• Interact with and bring department into line with operation plans and initiatives
• Implement policies, procedures and processes as deemed appropriate by senior leadership team
• Serve as key stakeholder in evaluating commercial agreements, mergers & acquisitions, or other major corporate initiatives
Financial Analysis, Budgeting and Forecasting
• Prepare, present and oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management including full year forecast, budget and mid-range planning
• Oversee preparation of month-end, quarter-end, and year-end financial statements
• Identify, develop and execute analysis of business initiatives, new launches and expansions.
• Manage financial planning and analysis department. Supervise creation of reports, software implementation and tools for budgeting and forecasting.
Accounting, General Ledger, Administration and Operations
• Assume full responsibility for managing the company's financial functions, including overseeing local Dallas office that handles all accounting and producing timely and accurate financial reports to the executive management team as well as royalty statement issuance to licensors
• Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls, SOX compliance and financial procedures.
• Responsible for overseeing the preparation and submission of clean, timely and accurate financial deliverables and reports to operation management, home office finance, SOX compliance, auditors and all other external/internal parties that require financial information
• Oversee the month-end close process, constantly reviewing procedures while eliminating inefficiencies.
• Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems
• Manage cash flow planning process and ensure funds availability.
• Oversee cash, investments and asset management area
• Explore new investment opportunities and provide recommendations on potential returns and risks
• Maintain outstanding relationships and strategic alliances with vendors and business partners
• Utilize forward-looking models and data driven analyses to provide financial insight into the organization's plans and operating budgets
Financial Relations and Policies
• Engage finance committee or board of directors to develop short term and long-term plans, projections and budgets under JV partnership
• Work together with legal, compliance, tax groups in order to remain current on audit best practices, tax and any local regulations
Finance and Accounting Team Management
• Develop a team of 15+ people, managing work allocation, systems training, performance evaluations, and the building of an effective and efficient team dynamic.
• Manage relationship and communication with larger, cross-divisional teams outside of direct span of control within the overall Sony global organization
• Oversee weekly cash management and AP Department, approve large payables, sign checks, authorize large wires and ACHs
• Supervise Accounts Receivable management and provide guidance relating to the collection process
• Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field
• MBA degree preferred
• Entertainment/digital/technology/direct to consumer experience preferred
• 15+ years total accounting or finance experience
• Outstanding knowledge and understanding of GAAP, IFRS, SOX compliance reporting.
• Background coordinating with I.T. staff to manage and/or upgrade accounting system. Systems implementation experience strongly preferred.
• ERP Systems Experience – NetSuite experience preferred
• Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence and executive presence – ability to motivate staff.
• Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills