Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Attorney- Sony Pictures International Productions
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a leading creator and distributor of entertainment products, services and technology. Our global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution, television production, programming and syndication, home video acquisitions and distribution, operation of studio facilities, development of new entertainment technologies and distribution of filmed entertainment in over 70 countries.
The SPE Legal Department is hiring an experienced attorney to support the Sony Pictures International Productions label, a film group that develops, produces and acquires films in multiple territories throughout Asia, Europe and Latin America. As a production attorney, the position will draft and negotiate contracts in connection with motion picture development, production, financing, distribution, sales and related agreements, working closely with senior legal and business executives in the U.S. and abroad, as well as outside counsel and third party producers. The role requires an individual who is motivated, has adaptable communication skills, has excellent judgment and works independently. The candidate must have a JD, be a member of a U.S. state bar and have at least 5 years relevant legal experience with an entertainment law firm or an entertainment company.
1. Drafting and negotiating contracts (in concert with and under the direction of Legal and Business Affairs executives) for the development, production, co-production, acquisition and distribution of international, local-language theatrical motion pictures.
2. Reviewing and providing comments to third party agreements and contracts related to development, production and distribution and negotiating them to signature and dealing with all other legal issues arising in connection with motion picture development, production, co-production, acquisition and distribution.
3. Reviewing chain of title and other rights issues in connection with acquisition of motion picture rights.
4. Liaising with various internal personnel (i.e. tax, risk management, finance, compliance, rights management), international and U.S. outside counsel, and third party producers to resolve issues involving day to day development, production, distribution activities.
5. Research and answer day to day inquiries from internal personnel regarding contracts, international subsidies and tax credits, clearance issues, guild issues, remake rights and other legal matters.
• 5 years relevant legal experience with entertainment law firm or entertainment company, preferably with theatrical motion picture production, finance and acquisitions experience.
• Foreign language, international business/legal and/or cross border transactional experience a plus.
• Knowledge of: contract law, U.S. copyright law, and legal issues specific to entertainment law and theatrical motion picture production, distribution and acquisition.
• Juris Doctorate (JD) from an accredited institution.
• Must have excellent negotiating skills.
• Must be computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Word.
• Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) as well as proven ability to work with creative and corporate personnel.
• May be required to travel.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios