Assistant General Counsel, Privacy
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Assistant General Counsel, Privacy
The Assistant General Counsel, Privacy is responsible for working closely with senior members of SPE's Legal Compliance and Corporate Legal teams to provide practical, business-focused legal advice on a company-wide basis.
This position requires experience working on a wide variety of data privacy and data security matters as well as the ability to support all aspects of the company's global compliance initiatives. The Senior Counsel must partner with teams across the company to support the accomplishment of business objectives in an ethical and compliant manner.
• Advises and Oversees SPE's Data Privacy Compliance Program for Global Operations
• Provide and coordinate legal advice regarding data privacy laws, regulations, requirements (including GDPR) applicable to the collection, use, transfer, and sharing of personal data.
• Create, develop, and enhance privacy compliance tools & processes, such as data collection intake forms, privacy impact assessments, and contract templates for third party agreements.
• Provide legal advice to Information Security and IT teams on privacy matters.
• Advise on data incident response issues, including breach notifications and remediation plans.
• Provide recommendations regarding internal and external resources to support the privacy program.
• Liaise with Sony Corporation and its operating companies re privacy requirements and strategies.
• Monitor domestic and international privacy developments and identify related best practices.
Facilitates SPE's Consumer Data Privacy Compliance Across Multiple Lines of Business
• Provide legal advice and support to line of business attorneys as they evaluate privacy implications of, and implement effective privacy solutions for, business activities involving the collection and use of consumer data:
o Serve as a centralized resource for privacy developments related to digital marketing;
o Conduct Legal Privacy Committee meetings and facilitating cross-business discussions;
o Provide a point of escalation for cross-business privacy needs and decision-making.
Manages SPE's Employee Data Privacy Program Implementation for Global Operations
• Provide legal advice to SPE regarding compliance with employee data privacy legal requirements and SPE and Sony policies.
• Review, evaluate, and implement proposed privacy requirements for corporate initiatives and vendor agreements that involve the collection and use of personal data.
• Assist in the preparation of privacy impact assessments by clarifying the services to be performed and analyzing their effect on the protection of personal data.
• Participate in negotiations with third party vendors regarding data privacy issues in a variety of commercial agreements.
• Structure and negotiate data use agreements and data transfer agreements to help ensure inclusion of appropriate data privacy protections.
• Consult and coordinate with outside counsel regarding local legal requirements, including regulatory filings for international data protection authorities and consultations with European Works Councils.
Supports Legal Compliance team
• Support Legal Compliance group initiatives and projects as needed.
• JD degree from ABA accredited law school with strong academic credentials.
• Member of the State Bar of California or qualified to practice in California as registered in-house counsel.
• Minimum 5-7 years of relevant law firm and/or in-house legal experience, including providing privacy advice for digital marketing activities.
• Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) preferred.
• Direct experience applying U.S. and non-U.S. privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines in a business context.
• In-depth experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements.
• Excellent written/verbal communication, presentation and negotiation skills.
• High proficiency with Microsoft Office software (including Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word).
• Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues at all levels of the company.
• Flexibility to manage multiple matters, and new areas of expertise as business needs change.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to identify prioritize and resolve issues quickly and effectively in a complex and creative environment.
• Be an innovative/creative problem solver who can find legal solutions to business issues.
• Be comfortable with a fair amount of ambiguity.
• Be down to earth with high emotional intelligence, sound judgment, common sense, confidence, and the ability to act decisively.
• Maintain a positive attitude, sense of humor, and a commitment to professionalism and collegiality.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disabilit
y, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios