VP, Business Development
Sony MusicNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Sony Music Entertainment is a global recorded music label, and part of a portfolio of Sony brands creating blockbuster films, consumer-friendly electronics, and innovative technology.
At Sony Music Entertainment, we are passionate about helping our artists succeed in an industry that sees constant change and innovation. The Global Digital Business team is on the front lines, ensuring that we make the most of our relationships with major digital distribution partners, and also work with the most exciting digital music startups around the world. We strive to be ahead of the curve and shape how customers connect with the music they love.
The Vice President of Global Business Development position is a senior role in the Global Digital Business group that is expected to have a major impact on the business, and interface regularly with senior management. On day one, you should be able to articulate key digital music deal structures and strategies, evaluate deal performance and options, and start leading, supervising and influencing negotiations with Sony Music’s commercial partners.
You will also lead a team of experienced and data-savvy business development professionals based out of New York City, focusing primarily on structuring and negotiating global and multi-territory partnerships with U.S. and Latin America-based partners, while closely collaborating with diverse teams across the company and the globe. You will report to the Senior Vice President of Global Business Development.
This is a rare opportunity to have a major direct influence on the digital future of the music business.
Sony Music Entertainment is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
You will be successful in this role if you have the following:
• Share the team’s passion for music, digital media, and innovation
• Have a track record negotiating innovative, high-value digital content licensing deals that align interests among sophisticated business organizations
• Demonstrated ability to independently and pragmatically handle complex negotiation situations in a fast-paced environment, and be a strong closer
• Exceptional creativity, problem-solving, and three-dimensional thinking
• A highly strategic mind with strong analytical skills, using data, insights and market realities to inform your recommendations, and to regularly re-assess the tactics and resources required to achieve objectives
• Strong leadership and management skills, with a hands-on style as well as the ability to quickly build relationships and manage expectations across multiple stakeholders
• Superb communication skills, with the ability to thoroughly and concisely advise senior management, as well as educate colleagues and enhance the overall organization’s culture and performance
• Undergraduate degree
• MBA and/or experience in a top consulting firm or investment bank a plus, but not required
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience with a digital music/media organization in a business development role
• Experience in business and relationship development on a global basis
• Experience managing high-performing direct reports and interfacing with C-suite executives