VP, Business Development & Operations
Sony MusicNew York, NY
Full Time Job
As the VP of Business Development and Operations you will be for responsible for developing relationships throughout the industry, driving Sony Music’s strategic approach to expanding its presence in the industry and managing the podcast sales and marketing teams responsible for the marketing and monetization of our existing slate of shows. This position will be located in New York City.
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
• Be the subject matter expert and point person responsible for informing senior management and key stakeholders on the podcast landscape.
• Play a role in evaluating Sony Music's strategic direction by conducting rigorous industry research and analysis, closely monitoring ongoing developments in the podcast market and presenting relevant analyses and insights with actionable recommendations to senior management
• Determine growth prospects for Sony Music’s podcasting business and lead efforts to capture high potential opportunities
• Develop relationships with podcast producers and creative talent to pursue potential collaborations
• Partner with Sony Music’s Original Content team to vet opportunities and provide guidance on appropriate deal structures
• Lead the Podcast Business Development and Support Services team (marketing, analytics, ad-sales, partnerships) which will provide support for the various podcast verticals including joint venture and internal content creation
• Provide guidance to our recorded music labels and joint venture partners on their podcast strategy and operations and educate how to monetize or distribute podcasts as appropriate
• Oversee relationships with production companies to ensure product is delivered on time and within budget
• Regularly communicate with streaming platforms to understand their product development plan, lead discussions on distribution and monetization, and ensure proper placement of Sony Music content and proactively deal with any challenges that arise
• Strong relationships person
• Significant experience leading the pitch, negotiation, and implementation of project deals with creators and producers in the media and entertainment industry
• Must be skilled in leading the relationship between podcast producers and the Sony Music support services using tact, persuasion, timing and facilitating direct communication and retaining the trust of both Sony Music and the podcast producing teams.
• Proven ability to lead, build and manage high performing teams
• Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills, and ability to influence people at all levels
• Minimum of 8 years of experience in media or creative industries
• Experience working in the podcast industry is a plus
• Undergraduate degree required and MBA desired
Sony Music Entertainment is a global leader in audio entertainment that works in partnership with music and podcasting talent to develop and maximize their creative and commercial opportunities. We are seeking a Vice President of Business Development and Operations for our Podcasting business focused on supporting creative storytelling talent, developing engaging content, and driving new business opportunities.